This article provides information about the University’s Rent Guarantor Scheme
If you are struggling to find accommodation in the private sector because you cannot provide a UK based guarantor you may be eligible for this scheme, where the University can in some circumstances act as a guarantor for students so they can find suitable accommodation for their time here.
What is the Student Rent Guarantor Scheme?
The University is prepared to act as a guarantor to eligible students living in the private sector on an assured shorthold tenancy. The purpose of the scheme is to enable students to take on accommodation that might not otherwise be available because a UK-based rent guarantor is required.
This means that the University will be legally responsible for paying rent when students default, provided that the terms and conditions set out in this document are met.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the scheme you must:
- have completed at least one year of study at the University of Portsmouth;
- have no access to a UK-based guarantor;
- have a clean University financial record or an acceptable reference from a previous landlord;
- be able to demonstrate to the University’s satisfaction that you are able to meet rent repayments (bank statements/funding information will be required);
- sign an assured shorthold tenancy or appropriate accommodation agreement for a maximum of 12 months and with a rental cost of no more than £150 per week/£650 per month;
- have sourced your property through either Student Pad
- and ensure that your landlord is willing to execute a guarantee agreement in the format specified by the University without amendment.
How can I apply?
To apply, you can contact the Student Finance Centre by calling +44 (0)23 9284 3014, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for an application form.