Rubbish and waste in Portsmouth
Do your bit for the environment by recycling, reusing and reducing your waste
Disposing of your rubbish responsibly is good for the environment, and keeps our streets tidy.
Most houses in the city have their rubbish collected weekly, and recycling every fortnight. Depending on where you live, you may also have a food waste bin to recycle kitchen scraps.
Here's everything you need to know about Recycling in Portsmouth - including your council bin collections, what to do with food scraps, and where to take your glass bottles, tetrapaks, crisp packets and more.
Your general rubbish is collected once a week on your street’s collection day.
For properties with forecourts
If you have a forecourt and wheelie bins:
- Only use black wheelie bins provided by Portsmouth City Council - any other bins, or anything outside of the bin won’t be picked up.
- Put all rubbish in tied sacks or plastic bags inside the bin.
- The bin lid should be able to fully close.
- Put out your wheelie bin by 7.00am on your collection day.
- Take your bins in as soon as they’re collected to avoid obstructing the pavement.
- If you need a bigger bin, please contact the Council who may be able to upgrade the size.
For flat-fronted properties
If you don’t have a forecourt and wheelie bins:
- Buy sturdy bin bags and make sure you tie them properly.
- Double wrap anything sharp and items that may attract animals, like food.
- Put out your rubbish by 7.00am on your collection day. Don't leave it outside on the pavement all week as this will attract pests but also complaints from neighbours.
- Put your rubbish at the boundary where your property meets the pavement.
- Standard waste allowance is three black sacks per week. If you need more allowance, please contact the Council who may be able to provide extra waste stickers.
For communal flats
If you live in a flat or another type of communal residence, you will have a communal rubbish collection. You need to put your rubbish in the big wheeled bins that you will find in your bin storage area. You can put your rubbish down a chute if you have one. Communal rubbish bins are usually emptied at least once a week.
See the council’s website for information on how to put your rubbish out for collection.