Student Finance Support
Student Finance Support
For help managing your money effectively, head to the Student Finance Centre. Here you can get information, advice and individual support to keep your finances on track.
As the team is currently working from home we aren't able to see you in person but you can still contact us by email or direct message through social media. If you'd prefer to talk through your financial concerns a member of the team can give you a call too.
The team includes advisers who are members of the Institute of Money Advisers and the National Association of Student Money Advisers. Everything you tell us will be kept in the strictest confidence and we'll always put your needs and interests first.
Areas you can get help and advice with include the following:
Liaison with Student Finance England
If you're having problems with your student loans or grant, please come and see us in the Student Finance Centre. With your permission, we can speak to Student Finance England on your behalf.
Advice on student loans
Two things are needed before we can confirm your status to the Student Loans Company (SLC) and they can release your student loan funds.
- An approved application for student finance for Portsmouth. If you have a different University on your paperwork, please email a copy of your financial notification letter to email@example.com. The University will email you change of circumstances form to get this updated and also confirm your registration manually.
- Complete your online registration via Student View. If you're a new student, you also need to a copy of your ID for checking, as per the instructions. Once we've checked your ID, your status is updated to Registered, and we'll confirm your registration to the SLC.
Further information on student loans:
Money management and budgeting advice
We can give you no-nonsense advice on how to set and stick to a budget, and make the most of your money.
Further tips and advice on money management:
- Budgeting your money
- Student bank accounts
- Bills and budgeting in private housing
- Rent guarantor scheme
- Financial advice for final year students
Information about scholarships and bursaries
If you're already studying, it's worth keeping an eye on what scholarships and bursaries are available for the next academic year.
We can help you identify what funding you're entitled to.
State benefit advice
Whether you're a student with dependants or a disability, or you want to know if you can claim tax credits, we can help you in this complex area.
Further information on benefits you may be entitled to:
Financial hardship funds
If you're facing genuine financial hardship while studying, there's a generous University Support Fund to help. You also can apply for one-off emergency payments while we consider your application for longer term support.
Further information about financial hardship:
- Considering withdrawing due to financial difficulties
- University Support Fund and other sources of help
- Problems paying halls of residence fees
Specialist debt advice
Getting into debt can be very stressful and you may not feel comfortable speaking to family or friends about it. We have trained financial advisers who can give you confidential information, advice and guidance on debt-related issues.
Our approach is straightforward – we aim to get you back on track and in control of your finances. Whatever your situation, we'll listen to you and provide impartial and non-judgemental debt advice. If we can't help, we'll point you in the direction of someone who can.
Contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or direct message through social media and a member of the team will help you.
The Student Finance Team is working from home so the office isn't currently open. We are working hard to ensure you can book an appointment to see us soon.