Close up of paramedic student badge

Accident and emergency information

What to do if you're involved in an accident, a near miss or experience an injury or incident

If you're involved in an accident, near miss or experience an injury or incident while at university, here's what you need to do.


Coronavirus Information Line: +44 (0)23 9284 5588 and

The information line is managed by MyPort staff to coordinate responses and give clear, consistent advice about University policies and procedures in response to the coronavirus outbreak, including our emergency response team who will liaise with Public Health England in the event of a coronavirus case on campus.

The information line is open Monday – Thursday 9.00am – 5.00pm and Friday 9.00am – 4.00pm.

Out of hours messages will be responded to as soon as possible.

For the latest information about Coronavirus, please check the Coronavirus information for students page on the Article Hub.

Dealing with an accident

First aid assistance

There are first-aiders in all university buildings. Look out for the green first aid signs. These list all the staff in the building that are qualified to give first aid treatment, and their extension numbers.

Calling an ambulance

If you or someone else has a serious or life-threatening injury or condition, call the Security Lodge for an ambulance on extension 3333 or +44 (0)23 9284 3333.

You'll be asked:

  • The location, including the area or room in the building
  • The phone number you are calling from
  • What's happened?

At this point the Security Lodge will call an ambulance. They will also dispatch caretakers and security to assist and arrange access for the ambulance crew, and call you back to confirm that the ambulance is on its way.

You'll also be asked:

  • Is there a first-aider in attendance?
  • What's the patient’s age, gender and does he or she have relevant medical conditions?
  • Is the patient conscious and breathing, and is there any serious bleeding or chest pain?
  • Where is the injury and how did it happen? 

If you see a hazard or risk

Report it to a member of staff or campus security on extension 3333 or +44 (0)23 9284 3333.

How to report an incident

Please contact Campus Security if you're the victim of, or witness, an incident on campus.

Reports of all incidents of crime or suspect persons in buildings to the Security Control Room (contact details below) as soon as possible. The Control Room Operator will want to know:

  • Location of incident
  • Brief description of incident
  • Description of offender
  • Time of incident
  • Names of persons involved

Security staff will take down a report of crime, but it's also important that the incident is reported to the police. This is necessary for insurance purposes.

Crime reporting essentials:

Reporting sexual violence

For specialist and confidential medical support and advice after a sexual assault the best place to go is the Treetops Centre, Portsmouth’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre. Phone the 24/7 helpline on 0300 123 6616.

Further support

Emergency support from the police and NHS medical services is free and available to anyone. However, in order to access ongoing treatment and medical support you need to be registered with a local NHS doctor.

If you have experienced or witnessed a serious incident then there is plenty of further support from the University. Check the Health and Wellbeing section for information about how to register with a local doctor and what further support you can access from the Student Wellbeing Service and other support services.

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close