Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries Learning, Creative and Personal Support
Supporting your studies
Our Academic Skills Tutors and Creative Skills Tutors in the Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries offer academic support to all our undergraduate and postgraduate students.
You can get support with your theoretical and academic assessment-based skills, and they can help you develop the practical knowledge and expertise you can use now and in the future.
Our Student Support Advisors can offer additional help with things like academic, personal or financial pressures.
Academic skills support
During term time, Faculty Academic Skills Tutors are available for bookable 1-to-1 sessions, small group sessions and online sessions. These sessions are tailored to your needs.
Support is available for skills including:
- Academic writing and structure, e.g. essays, reports and dissertations
- Making the most of assignment feedback
- Critical analysis
- Referencing, citations and avoiding plagiarism
- Academic reading
- Presentation and communication skills
- Group work skills
- Time management: organising and planning your work load
- Exam and revision techniques
Location of sessions
Academic Skills Tutors
Diane Carter - firstname.lastname@example.org
Ann-Katherin Reck - email@example.com
Geoffrey Thompson - firstname.lastname@example.org
Book an academic skills session
If you'd like to book a session with an academic skills tutor, email email@example.com.
Creative skills support
Our Creative Skills Tutors offer workshops and 1-to-1 sessions in many areas, from software and hardware skills to video production techniques and drawing classes.
If you're looking for extra guidance, want to learn additional skills or a new skill from outside your degree studies, you can call in to find out what’s on offer. As a CCI student, you can sign up for free to any of the Creative Skills workshops or activities.
Group workshops and 1-to-1 tutorials are available in areas such as:
- Image editing software such as Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator
- Film, television and video editing software such as Avid Media Composer, Premiere Pro
- Architectural modelling (CAD) software, e.g. SketchUp, Revit and AutoCAD
- Post-production and special effects software, including After Effects
- Interactive media and animation using Flash
- Sound production software and techniques including Pro Tools and Audition
- Television studio video camera setup and use, studio lighting, sound recording
- Life drawing, observational and perspective drawing
Location of sessions
Creative skills tutors
Ryan Brady - firstname.lastname@example.org
Stephen Hall - email@example.com
Bill Stote - firstname.lastname@example.org
Book a Creative Skills session
Find more information about Creative Skills support, such as how to book a 1-to-1 session, on the department's Moodle page.
Creative Skills is an official Certiport exam centre, where students on level 6 or level 7 of their degree can take the Adobe Certified Associate (ACA) and Autodesk Certified User (ACU) exams for free. Please visit our Moodle page for further information.
Student Support Adviser
Academic, personal or financial pressures during your studies can make things more difficult and lead to a lack of attendance or reduced work quality. You don't need to struggle alone.
Our Student Support Adviser offers support and guidance if you're experiencing any of these difficulties, or are concerned about someone who is.
You can get help and support such as:
- Confidential discussions on academic, personal and financial matters
- Impartial advice
- A gateway to other university support services
- Assistance finding specialist support
- Clarification of student-focused university policies
- Assistance with extenuating circumstance forms
- Resources to help kick bad studying habits
Contact and availability
You can contact the Student Support Adviser on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Appointments aren't always necessary, but you can book in to see us by emailing email@example.com or calling on +44 (0)23 9284 5458.
You can always stop by our office at Room 0.92, East Wing, Eldon Building to check appointment availability or just have a chat.
For out-of-hours crises
In an emergency and for out-of-hours security, please call the Security Lodge on +44 (0)23 9284 3418 (or 84 3418 from halls landlines). They can advise you on who the relevant person is to help, and they can also contact the on-call Chaplain for advice.