Student Support and Development Team
Develop the skills and get the support you need to succeed in your degree.
Student Support and Development Team
The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences has one overarching team for all your support needs, the Student Support and Development Team. The team is composed of Learning Development Tutors, Student Engagement Officers, and Technicians.
Learning Development Tutors
Learning Development Tutors offer support in developing the skills you need to succeed in your degree – everything from academic style to research methods. We offer one-to-one and group tutorials, personalised guidance, online support, and we work with you in modules to guide you in completing your assessments to develop your skills in the following areas:
- Writing in an academic style
- Making the most of feedback from your markers
- Researching, referencing, and citations
- Critical thinking skills and critical analysis of sources
- Time-management, organisation, and planning your assessments
- Delivering effective presentations and group-work skills
- Effective note-taking, revision, and exam preparation techniques
Student Engagement Officers
Student Engagement Officers (SEOs) are here to provide you with personal support and advice whilst you study within the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
We’re your cheerleaders when things are going well and a listening ear when they’re not. You don't need to struggle alone; we’re here for you throughout your degree. Here’s how we can help:
- Wellbeing, stress, motivational problems
- Dealing with personal, family, or social problems
- Integrating into your course / the University and understanding our processes and procedures
- Assistance with Extenuating Circumstance Forms (ECF) and writing statements of support
- Liaising with other departments or your academic team, accompanying you to meetings, and advocating within the university on your behalf
- Signposting to financial, housing, health, and disability support
Although we complement the work of Personal Tutors, we operate independently from your course staff, so should you be unable to raise your concern with your Personal Tutor, we're a great place to seek confidential advice.
We’re committed to developing our support offer to best suit our students, so any ideas or feedback you have for new initiatives or improvements would be very welcome. You can either contact us directly or via your Student Course Representative.
You can find out more about our service on our Moodle page or contact us via your specific School’s SEO email address:
Our Technicians, Rob Hobbs and Tom Heard are a fount of knowledge on all things technical and IT related. They provide bespoke IT training and workshops for all students in the faculty as well as group and 1:1 teaching on technical hardware and software support. Whether you need help with a podcast, translation software, creating a video, recording group presentations or anything else, they’re here to help.
Other support available
English Language Support
The School Education Languages and Linguistics (SEL) runs a Global Cafe for students from all faculties to mix and practice speaking English in a fun environment. It's held in the cafe of Park Building every Wednesday afternoon from 2.00 pm during term time. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mathematical and Statistical Support
Maths or maths-related knowledge and skills in need of a boost? Come and visit us at Maths Café where you can get help with maths, stats, and other maths-related problems, large or small. The Maths Café is free to access. It doesn't matter what degree you're doing, you can get help from us. Our tutors enjoy solving mathematical problems and sharing our knowledge and experience with you. No problem is too trivial and we'll always do our best to help you. Find out more here.