Student Wellbeing Service
Health and wellbeing
The Student Wellbeing Service is the hub for learning, advice and support for your emotional wellbeing and mental health. You can get free, confidential help for a wide range of personal and emotional concerns
Build your wellbeing skills by engaging with our recommended self-help resources or extensive course, workshop and events programme. Or you can access the support and guidance from our friendly team of wellbeing advisers, counsellors and mental health advisers in a variety of ways: online, by text, video or audio call, or in person.
Anonymous support without registering
Download our WhatsUp app for wellbeing support at your fingertips. You can chat via anonymous text messaging with Student Wellbeing Service practitioners whenever you want (we reply during office hours), use the mood-rating and diary section to monitor your wellbeing, and set the notifications to receive daily inspiring wellbeing messages.
How to register for support
- Provide your name, student ID and contact details in the short registration form from the link below.
- We will then send you a secure email link to a confidential online Wellbeing First Steps form. This allows you to tell us a bit more about yourself and about the issues worrying you, so you don't have to wait until we can offer you a full appointment.
- The questions on the form help you think things through, and the process of filling it in is designed to be helpful in itself. You will also be able to tell use your preferences for meeting and provide your availability.
- When we receive your completed First Steps document a practitioner from the Wellbeing Service will read it carefully and then allocate the most appropriate further support quickly and efficiently.
- You will hear back from us the next working day after you submit the First Steps.
Informal advice session
You don’t need to do the First Steps process to book a one-off advice session or a place on a course or workshop. Check the Workshops and Events page for details of the many informative sessions we provide on common student issues. Advice sessions are brief meetings of about 20 minutes, available daily. They are bookable on the day, on a first-come-first-served basis.
To find out session times and to make a booking for an advice session or workshop, call in to the reception or phone us:
Student Wellbeing Service
Floor 2, Nuffield Centre
St Michael's Road
Portsmouth PO1 2ED
Tel: +44 (0)23 9284 3466
By registering with the Student Wellbeing Service, you agree to the terms and conditions. Please read the short privacy and consent page which explains our confidentiality system and how your information is kept secure.
Growing your wellbeing mindset
Student life has plenty of challenges and your mindset towards these challenges is more important for your success than anything else you do. We offer lots of options to be there alongside you as you grow your wellbeing mindset.
You can drop in weekly at our Wellbeing Café, come along to our annual Feel Good Fest, or access a range of online learning and support options when you need them. Browse our other web pages to learn more about these options and our unique Learning Well philosophy, including ways we support student leadership.
In the event that you need support urgently, you'll find all the important contacts here.
The SWS provides workshops and events to help with issues you might experience at uni.