Two people looking out to sea, one with arm around the other


In the event that you need support urgently, you'll find all the important contacts here

In an emergency

If you or someone else has experienced an incident and/or someone is at immediate risk of serious harm, call 999.

Campus Security

On campus you can also call +44 (0)23 9284 3333 for Campus Security. You should save this number to your phone.

If you need medical help fast, but it’s not a 999 emergency, contact the NHS 24-hour helpline on 111. This is the number to call for mental health crises.

Call Campus Security now

During office hours:

Student Wellbeing Service

Although we are not a crisis service, we are here for advice and information during office hours. The Student Wellbeing Service is open from Monday – Thursday, 8.30am–5.00pm; Friday, 8.30am – 4.00pm.

Same day advice sessions

Daily advice sessions are available on a first-come first-served basis. Phone +44 (0)23 9284 3466 to find out times and book a slot. Let the administrator know if you are in need of urgent crisis support, as it may be more appropriate to contact emergency services.


Click here to call the Student Wellbeing Service now

Out of hours:

If you need to talk to someone outside our normal opening hours:

  • Contact Campus Security on +44 (0) 23 9284 3333 who can contact the out of hours support team – this could be someone from the Res Life team or the University Chaplaincy Service 
  • For anonymous support, consider contacting the Samaritans – they provide a 24-hour listening service on 116 123
  • To text for help, use the SOS Text button in the WhatsUP app or text CAM to 85258 to get through to the 24/7 Shout Crisis messenger service
  • NHS urgent mental health helplines – Get 24-hour advice and support from a mental health professional.
  • Contact your local doctor (GP) who has 24-hour responsibility for your care

Further support

Concerned about a student

Read more

Support for harassment and bullying

Read more

Support after sexual assault, violence or harassment

Read more

Support after hate crime

Read more

Report and Support tool

Headshot of a student on campus
Anonymous reporting tool

If you feel at risk of taking your own life

Many people who have thought about or attempted suicide feel grateful later that they did not act or succeed with that impulse.

If you have harmed yourself or you are thinking about doing so now, please use the emergency advice above. When you speak to someone, make it clear you feel at risk.

Alternatively, please try the following options:

Seeing a doctor

During GP opening hours you may be able to get an emergency appointment.

St Mary's NHS Treatment Centre

If you are not registered with a doctor in Portsmouth then you can call +44 (0)33 3200 1822 to see if you can be seen at the St Mary’s walk-in treatment centre.

Accident and Emergency Department

Go to A&E if you can get a friend to accompany you. If not, phone 999 and let the staff know that you're feeling unsafe and at risk of harming yourself.

Helplines and websites

Talking honestly to someone about how you are feeling can really help. Consider registering for support with the Student Wellbeing Service; but in the meantime, you can access the Samaritans 24/7 helpline on 116 123 to speak to a trained practitioner immediately at any time. You can also use the CAM Crisis Messenger service by texting CAM to 85258.

You might also find these websites helpful:

  • NHS urgent mental health helplines – Get 24-hour advice and support from a mental health professional.
  • Papyrus – The national charity dedicated to the prevention of young suicide. They can provide you with confidential advice and support.
  • SupportLine – Confidential telephone helpline and web pages with support on the issue of suicide.
  • Students Against Depression – Student-focused advice and resources for those affected by low mood, depression and suicidal thinking.

Create a safety plan

Develop a safety plan for times when you're feeling low. A safety plan can help you make sense of your suicidal thoughts and learn strategies for surviving them. And can keep you safe when you're at risk.

Use this safety plan worksheet from Students Against Depression to develop your safety plan.

Think about making an appointment with the Student Wellbeing Service to discuss how you feel with a member of the team. We can help you think through your safety plan and build strategies for keeping yourself safe.

To make an appointment call +44 (0)23 9284 3466, email or drop by at The Bateson Centre, The Mary Rose St, Portsmouth, PO1 2BL.