Apply for funding to develop your startup idea
Do you have an idea but you're not sure if it will work? Would you like some money to explore the viability of your business? Do you already have an idea you wish to develop? If so, these startup grants are for you. Applications are also invited from early-stage businesses which have suffered due to COVID 19. If the recent economic crisis has prevented you from trading or moving your business forward then these grants are also for you.
We have three different grants available:
- Explore Fund: Apply for up to £300 to test an idea
- Develop Fund: Apply for up to £1,000 to develop your idea to the next stage
- COVID 19 Support Fund: Apply for up to £500 to help with living costs
This funding is a grant so you won’t pay back the money. However, we do expect to see some return on the investment in terms of your business development. The Startup grant is funded by Santander Universities and is available to University of Portsmouth students and graduates within 5 years of graduating.
Explore fund - up to £300
Up to £300, this grant is suitable for groups or individuals that want to:
- Test or explore an idea of a small scale
- Take your first steps
- Undertake market research
- Discover if an idea is viable
Develop fund - up to £1000
Up to £1000, this grant is suitable for individuals or groups that want to:
- Develop your idea further
- Discover if your idea is viable on a larger scale
- Launch your idea
- Upscale and grow your current idea or startup
COVID-19 Support fund - up to £500
Up to £500, this grant is suitable for individuals to:
- Help with living costs
Examples of what the explore and develop funding could be used for include market research, creating a prototype, marketing, purchasing products and services or launching a product or service.
The funding is for UK based projects and businesses only.
Please only apply for the money you need.
The deadline for applications is 8 July 2020. If successful at this stage you will be invited to pitch your idea during the week starting 27 July 2020.
Intellectual Property Competition Prize
In addition to the seed funding, leading intellectual property firm Maucher Jenkins is offering a fantastic opportunity to win a GB patent filing worth £5000 and/or a GB Trademark filing worth £1000. So if you have a unique product, service, design or invention this may be of interest to you. More information can be found here.
There are two ways of registering your interest:
1. If you are applying for funding you don’t need to do anything at this stage as we will review all application and be in contact nearer the funding deadline date.
2. If you decide not to apply for the startup funding but are interested in this prize please complete this short form to register your interest.
Any questions contact email@example.com