This article will let you know who to contact should you have a maintenance issue or need something repaired in halls of residence.

If you are experiencing a problem/defect with facilities within your study room/flat kitchen or communal space you can use the Student Home Portal to report your issue online.

Alternatively, if you wish to speak to someone about the problem, visit or contact your hall reception.

Please note that the ‘Halls of Residence’ Facebook pages should not be used to communicate with hall management.


Contact details

Bateson and Harry Law Halls:+44(0)23 9284 3880 (calling from your mobile phone)

Rees Hall and Burrell House:+44(0)23 9284 3884 (calling from your mobile phone)

* Please note that our Accommodation team operate a reduced reception service Monday to Friday from 5.00pm and at weekends. If reception is closed duty staff can be contacted via Security 023 9284 3418.

If you live in one of our Third party provider halls (Unite or The Student Housing Company) please refer to the relevant halls websites for information.


Information to include when reporting your problem

When reporting a maintenance issue to the University, we ask that you tell us the following:

  • Description of item and nature of the fault, giving as much information as possible. For example, to mend a 'broken window', the University may send a glazier, but if in fact, the window doesn’t open, it might be more appropriate to send a joiner.
  • Location of the fault(including block, flat and room number if applicable).
  • The reporting system will automatically provide us with your name and contact details.


Reporting an urgent maintenance or repair outside working hours

If the problem has arisen outside of working hours or if you are unable to contact your Hall reception, please call the University Security Lodge on:+44 (0)23 9284 3418 (calling from your mobile phone)

Emergency Contact number:+44 (0)23 9284 3333 (calling from your mobile phone)


Resolving the problem

Halls or estates staff will access your room to work on the maintenance or repair issue.

All University halls of residence have allocated times in which they are available to make repairs. These are 9.00am–4.00pm Monday to Friday.

When they have completed the job they will leave you a calling card (a purple calling card), which provides feedback on the current situation with the repair etc..

Halls maintenance staff are authorised to enter rooms/suites to respond to submitted maintenance requests and attend emergency repairs. For more information on room access read this article.


If you are still not satisfied

If you are not satisfied with either the quality or timeliness of the repair, or just wish to talk to someone about the issue, please speak to reception staff (see below) or talk to your Assistant Manager who can be contacted via your main hall reception.

Bateson and Harry Law Halls:+44(0)23 9284 3880

Rees Hall and Burrell House:+44(0)23 9284 3884


IT maintenance or repair

For IT assistance in halls of residence and to report maintenance or necessary repair work, please contact the IS Service Desk on:

The Service Desk is available from 8.00am to 5.15pm, Monday to Thursday and 8.00am to 4.30pm on Friday.

You can also visit the Student IT Support Centre located next to the Students' Union building.