This article will provide you with information on guidance and support to assist if you can't pay halls/ accommodation fees or if your employer, local authority or foreign embassy refuses to pay your halls fees.


Problems paying halls deposit

If you are having problems paying the initial deposit of £250, please contact the Student Housing Office so they can discuss the matter with you directly to help find a solution.


Problems paying halls fees

If for any reason you are unable to pay your accommodation fees, and you are living in a University of Portsmouth managed halls of residence building, you must contact the Finance Department (located in University House) immediately. There are many ways in which we can help, but if we are not aware that you are experiencing difficulties, we are unable to advise. The Finance Department can be contacted by phone on +44 (0)23 9284 5533.

The Student Finance Centre (located in University House) may also be able to offer help and advice. Their contact details are available here.

Please note:- Greetham Street Hall, Rosalind Franklin Hall, Margaret Rule Hall or Trafalgar - if you are successfully allocated in any of these halls, you must refer to Unite Students' terms and conditions, and contact them straight away if you are having problems paying.

Please note:- Catherine House - if successfully allocated to Catherine House Hall, you must refer to Yugo's terms and conditions, and contact them directly as soon as possible if you are having problems paying.


Paying by direct debit

If you cannot pay your halls fees, it is not recommended that you cancel your direct debit as the remaining balance for the termly fee will immediately become due for payment, which could cause more trouble for you.

If the direct debit is declined by your bank, then a further payment request will be made three days later. If this is also declined, the payment will need to be made by an alternative method. If more than one instalment request is returned unpaid, then you may lose the right to pay by instalments.

We urge any students with financial difficulties, however large or small, to seek advice without delay, as non-payment of your hall fees can result in legal action to recover the debt and possession proceedings for the hall room.

If you need further advice or assistance, then the finance team can be contacted on +44(0)23 9284 5533 or the Student Finance team can also help.