This article contains information on recommended cleaning products for Halls of Residence.

  • Rubber gloves – to protect your skin from chemicals.
  • Cleaning cloths – such as J‑Cloths are essential.
  • Scouring sponges or pads – are good for using on surfaces that are not easily scratched.
  • Dusters – for cleaning furniture and mirrors.
  • Rubbish bags – are essential. Please ask at your reception if you require extra bags.
  • General bathroom cleaner – there are lots of products on the market, but make sure you get one that removes limescale such as Cif Bath and Shower. Even these products sometimes do not remove a build-up of limescale. Specialist limescale removers, such as Viakal or Limelite, not standard cream products, are recommended for this.
  • General kitchen cleaner – a general cleaner like Flash Multi‑Purpose Spray can be used neat for tough grease and dirt or diluted to clean vinyl floors, paintwork etc. Mopping a floor is sufficient to clean day‑to‑day dirt, but for a final clean you should scrub it with a cloth or scrubbing brush.
  • Oven cleaner – a specialist oven cleaning product, such as Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner, does a great job. Leave it on for the maximum time recommended. Be sure to read the instructions carefully, always use rubber gloves and make sure the room is fully ventilated. Use this to clean oven shelves and grill pans too. Wire wool scourers are great for trays and shelving.
  • Toilet cleaner – again, make sure your product removes limescale, as well as dirt and germs. Cif Powercream on the lid and seat and Harpic Toilet Cleaner in the bowl normally work well.
  • Polish – any furniture polish will usually be good. If you buy a multi‑surface polish, you can use this on laminated finishes, as well as on wood.
  • Carpet and upholstery cleaning – carpet cleaner, like 1001 Trouble Shooter, is good for removing small marks and stains. If you have lots of stains, we will normally arrange for the carpet to be shampooed and a charge will be deducted from your Damage Deposit account.

Students in Unite Halls (Greetham Street, Rosalind Franklin, Margaret Rule, Trafalgar)

Find out more about your Halls of Residence room on the Unite website.


Students in Catherine House

Find out more about your Halls of Residence room on the Student Housing Company website.