Your virtual introduction to university life
Discover online modules that will help you prepare for the year ahead
University can be a wonderful and exciting experience – but it's natural to feel nervous about the challenges involved.
Completing these online modules and watching a helpful video will give you a good idea of what to expect and how best to prepare for this new chapter of your life. If you’re returning to university you'll also benefit from brushing up before the start of term. The resources are available from the course pages on our upgraded virtual learning platform Moodle from 2 September 2022.
Transitioning to University - module
The 'Transitioning to University' module contains around 2 hours of interactive online content and activities that will help you explore areas that can help you achieve a smoother, more confident transition into Higher Education. It looks at what you can expect from your HE experience and how it may differ from your prior learning, along with expectations of you and the skills you'll need to develop.
How to Learn Online - module
The 'How to Learn Online' module contains around 2 hours of interactive online content and activities that will help you explore key themes such as:
- effective management of your studies
- best practices for learning digitally
- communication and collaboration
- development of core academic skills
- tips for assessments
Wellbeing for Learning - video
Understanding better how our human emotions have evolved is the starting point for learning skills for being a better friend to yourself and for building supportive networks with others which will help you succeed in your valued learning and life goals.
Accessing the modules
To do the modules, you’ll need to log onto Moodle - the University's virtual learning environment which hosts course learning materials and activities. Moodle is available 24-hours a day, 7-days a week, and can be accessed via smartphone, laptop or desktop computer. If you're unsure how to use Moodle, see our guide.
- Login to Moodle using your new University login credentials, which you will receive once you register on your course or re-register (if you’re a returning student). If you've not yet activated your student account, please activate it. Your username will consist of "UP" followed by your Student ID number (for example, UP1234567).
- The dashboard page of Moodle will be displayed, listing your course and the modules you are enrolled on. Click your course page from the links provided.
- The Arrival and Induction Support section is the second section of your course page, with lots of useful information about coming to campus and starting the year. Press the small purple triangle to expand the section.
- The 3 modules above appear in the blue boxes – simply follow the instructions under How to Get Started to access the content.