Modules to get you started with your studies
Supporting your studies
Starting university can be a wonderful and exciting experience – but it's natural to feel nervous about the challenges involved.
Completing these online modules will give you a good idea of what to expect and how best to prepare for this new chapter of your life. If you’re returning to university you'll also benefit from brushing up before the start of term.
Transitioning to University
The 'Transitioning to University' module contains around 2 hours of interactive online content and activities that will help you explore areas that can help you achieve a smoother, more confident transition into Higher Education. It looks at what you can expect from your HE experience and how it may differ from your prior learning, along with expectations of you and the skills you'll need to develop.
How to Learn Online
The 'How to Learn Online' module contains around 2 hours of interactive online content and activities that will help you explore key themes such as:
- effective management of your studies
- best practices for learning digitally
- communication and collaboration
- development of core academic skills
- tips for assessments
The 'Learning Well' foundation module contains around 1.5 hours of interactive online content and activities introducing you to our unique approach to learning here at Portsmouth – with personalised academic and pastoral support focusing on your wellbeing and resilience. This module will help you start to build your sense of belonging, mapping out your valued goals and the support networks which will help you overcome learning challenges to fulfil your potential and have a life-changing student experience.
Accessing the modules
To do the modules, you’ll need to log onto Moodle - the University's virtual learning environment which hosts course learning materials and activities. Moodle is available 24-hours a day, 7-days a week. You can access your course and module learning materials from Moodle via smartphone, laptop or desktop computer. If you're unsure how to use Moodle, see our guide.
- Login to Moodle using your new University login credentials. If you've not yet activated your student account, please activate it. Your username will consist of "UP" followed by your Student ID number (for example, UP1234567).
- The dashboard page of Moodle will be displayed, listing your course and the modules you are enrolled on. Click your course page from the links provided.
- The Arrival Support section is the second section of your course page, with lots of useful about coming to campus and starting the year. Press the small purple triangle to expand the section.
- The 3 modules above appear in the blue boxes – simply follow the instructions under How to Get Started to access the content.
Develop your skills as a student
Access Moodle, the University's virtual learning environment with resources for your course.