Your virtual introduction to university life
Prepare for the year ahead or refresh your memory when you return for a new academic year.
University can be a wonderful and exciting experience – but it's natural to feel nervous about the challenges involved.
Completing these online modules and watching a helpful video will give you a good idea of what to expect and how best to prepare for this new chapter of your life.
The resources are available from the course pages on our virtual learning platform Moodle.
Transitioning to University
The 'Transitioning to University' module contains around 2 hours of interactive online content and activities that will help you explore areas that can help you achieve a smoother, more confident transition into Higher Education.
It looks at what you can expect from your HE experience and how it may differ from your prior learning, along with expectations of you and the skills you'll need to develop.
Learning in Higher Education
The 'Learning in Higher Education' module contains around 2 hours of interactive online content and activities that will help you explore key themes such as:
- effective management of your studies
- development of core academic skills
- tips for assessments
Values and Expectations of the University
This module on Academic Integrity provides 30 minutes of online interactive content designed to familiarise you with your responsibilities as a student at the University.
The activities look at the importance of honesty in your University studies and how to avoid academic misconduct. You’ll learn why it’s important to acknowledge and respect the ideas and work of others and how to avoid plagiarism and collusion.
There’s also an introduction to referencing using the APA 7th style, and guidance on research that will help you find good quality sources for your coursework.
It’s worth spending time on this module as it will help you avoid some of the common mistakes and set you on the right track to succeed in your studies.
Access the modules
To do the modules, you’ll need to log onto Moodle - the University's virtual learning environment which hosts course learning materials and activities.
Moodle is available 24-hours a day, 7-days a week, and can be accessed via smartphone, laptop or desktop computer. If you're unsure how to use Moodle, see our guide.
- Login to Moodle using your new University login credentials, which you will receive once you register on your course or re-register (if you’re a returning student). If you've not yet activated your student account, please activate it. Your username will consist of "UP" followed by your Student ID number (for example, UP1234567).
- The dashboard page of Moodle will be displayed, listing your course and the modules you are enrolled on. Click your course page from the links provided. Alternatively, select “Modules and Courses” from the top menu then select your course from the next page. Alternatively, select “Modules and Courses” from the top menu then select your course from the next page.
- Scroll down the page and select the "Arrival and Induction Support" menu option.
- The 3 modules above appear in the blue boxes – simply follow the instructions under How to Get Started to access the content.