Meet your course mates on Discord
Make connections online before you arrive on campus
New students starting in September 2023 can join our chat groups on Discord where you can meet new students like you - to help you socialise and settle in as you join University.
Students from older year groups and staff will also be there to provide tips and help answer your questions about your course and student life.
If you’ve not used Discord before, follow the instructions below.
How to join the University of Portsmouth Discord Server
Here's how new students starting in September 2023 can sign up for and access the University of Portsmouth's Discord Server.
Welcome to the University of Portsmouth. This short video will show you everything you need to know to join our chat groups in Discord.
Let's get started. First off, you'll need to click the invitation link that was sent to you in a recent email.
Click this link and it will take you to the Discord server in your browser.
Choose a display name.
I'm going to use my first name followed by my course. Accept the terms and conditions and then click. Continue. Follow the on screen prompts.
Next, Discord will ask you for your date of birth to check your over a minimum age to access the app. Set your date of birth here and then click done and to your email address and a password.
Then click the button to claim your account.
Discord will email a confirmation link which you'll need to click in order to continue.
Clicking the link will take you to the Discord app homescreen.
If you'd like to use other versions of the Discord app, you can find them here for your desktop or you can download a version for your mobile phone.
Return to the University of Portsmouth Discord server by clicking the University of Portsmouth logo link on the left hand side.
The first thing you'll see is a Welcome to Portsmouth message. It's important that you read this information because it tells you what you need to do next. We'll be walking through this in this video.
If you get stuck, you can always ask for help in the tech support channel on the left hand side.
The next thing we need to do is verify you.
All you need to do is direct message the University of Portsmouth account, which you should see over on the right hand side of the screen. If it's not there, click this button. Right. Click on the account and choose message.
Type your student ID number, which will begin with UP.
For example, and press enter.
Your account will be verified by a member of staff at the university within 24 hours. Once it's verified, you'll receive a message to say you are verified. Something like this.
If you head back to the server, you'll notice that a new channel has appeared. This is the rules and disclaimers channel. To continue, you have to read and accept the rules.
Click on the channel carefully read the rules and then click the tick icon to accept them.
We're almost there.
The next thing you need to do is to find the School in which your course sits You do this by clicking on the roles channel. In here you will see each of the schools listed
If you're not sure which school your course is in, click the what's my school channel and you will see all the courses listed there, listed alphabetically so you can scroll down to find your course.
Or if it's easier, you can use the search box here to type in the name of your course.
My course is Graphic Design.
Scroll down the list and you will see Graphic Design here.
And it tells me that Graphic Design is in the School of Art, Design and Performance.
So let's go back to roles. Let's look for the School of Art, Design and performance, and then click on the Emoji down here to accept the rules.
You will now see on the left hand side your school channel.
This is where you can start to have conversations with your classmates and other students that are currently studying in your school. Click on the channel and start chatting.
If you want to change your username to something a little bit more user friendly, you can do this by going to user settings where it says user name, Edit your name and change your name.
The other channels you can see are announcements where we will post information, updates and useful stuff.
There's the all students chat channel where you can go in and chat to any new students that are joining the university this year. Just pop in and say hi.
Finally, if you need any technical help with using Discord, click on the tech support channel, Ask you questions and somebody will help. Look out for staff and student moderators in here to answer questions and to give you any support that you might need.
We hope you enjoy using the University of Portsmouth Discord Channel and look forward to meeting you in person soon. Have fun.
How to join (if you don't have a Discord account)
- Click the invite link in your university email (for example UP1234567@myport.ac.uk) as part of our Welcome to Portsmouth programme.
- Add a username - Discord will prompt you to add a username and also ask for your date of birth to check you are over a minimum age to access their app.
- Add your details - including your university email address (for example UP1234567@myport.ac.uk) and a password.
- Click the confirmation link - sent to your email address. You’re now on Discord! You have an option to download the Discord app or use a web browser on your phone or computer.
How to join (if you already have a Discord account)
- Introduction and verification - after clicking the invite link in your university email you will be taken to the Discord home screen. Click the University of Portsmouth logo, on the left-hand side, to return to our Discord server. Direct message (DM) the University of Portsmouth account with your student ID number beginning with UP (for example UP1234567). To do this, right-click on the University of Portsmouth account in the right-hand menu and select "Message" from the menu. This will only be seen by a small group of University staff to verify that you’re a new student.
- Accept the rules - once you’re verified within 24 hours, you’ll be asked to accept our community #rules-and-disclaimers such as keep it friendly, no explicit language, no promotions and no spamming. Just click the green tick to say you’ve read and accepted them.
- That's it! You can find and join your school chat under #roles or join our #all-student-chat for new students starting in September 2023.
If you’re a new student and are struggling to join Discord please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About our Discord server
Here’s a copy of our rules and disclaimers which new students will be asked to accept so we can keep Discord a nice environment for all to use.
We follow all official Discord guidelines.
We follow the UoP student code of conduct guidelines.
🚫 NO explicit language - you will receive 3 warnings before being banned
🚫 NO explicit content
🚫 NO hate speech, racism, homophobia, bullying, or aggressive behaviour will be tolerated
🚫 NO harassment of any kind
🚫 NO inciting arguments
🚫 NO promoting of cruelty, violence, self-harm, or suicide
🚫 NO spamming channels
🚫 NO promotion of any kind
🚫 Do not invite people to this server without the University's permission
👍 Do add a nickname for this server- first name - course name i.e. Joe Bloggs - Pharmacy
👍 Do keep it friendly and safe for all
👍 Do respect others
👍 Do be careful in sharing your personal information with others
👍 Do contact @Student Mods mods if anything seems suspicious
If you have any questions relating to Discord's data security or the privacy of your personal data, please contact Discord’s Data Protection Officer at email@example.com.