This page details the acceptable forms of personal identification which students must provide when registering onto their course, why they must provide it and when/where they need to be shown.


What form of personal identification do I need to produce?

For NEW Home students, one of the following forms of identification must be provided:

  • Valid passport
  • UK Driving License
  • UK Birth certificate
  • UK HM Forces Identity card and
  • UK Firearms License

NEW International/EU and CONTINUING International students need to provide the following:

  • A Valid Passport
  • UK visa and entry stamp (Where applicable)
  • Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
  • Home Office Decision Letter (Where applicable)


Why do I need to produce personal identification?

This is a requirement of course registration. Home students will be checked in the first year of study only, and International students annually. Please note, you will not be fully registered onto your course until you have completed the online registration form and your ID has been seen (where applicable). New students will not be issued with a Student Card until you are registered onto your course and have provided us with a valid term time address.

For Home students, where applicable, once these processes have taken place, the University can notify the Student Loans Company that you are registered onto your course and you can expect to receive your student support entitlement within the next three to five working days.


When and where do I show my personal identification?

Your personal identification should be shown at the very start of term.

For details of how and when to show your identification, please see the relevant article for you (please note these articles will cover on-campus and off-campus (distance learning) students):

Register as a NEW Home - what I need to know

Register as a NEW International/EU student - what I need to know

Register as a CONTINUING Home/EU student - what I need to know

Register as a CONTINUING International (i.e. non-EEA) student - what I need to know