This article will explain what happens if you fail a module, and what can be done to resolve the situation.

The University will do all it reasonably can to help you to resolve the situation. Firstly, the Module Assessment Board (MAB) will state what you must do to recover the failure. 


What are my options?

You are advised to see your Module Coordinator to get some feedback on why you failed. This will go a long way in helping you to be successful next time round.

Once you have failed a piece of work, or have failed the academic year, make sure you know what work you are required to do to resolve the situation, and by what date this work has to be completed.

At the first sitting, if you have failed 60 credits or less, you will normally be entitled to another attempt in the Refer period.

If you fail more than 60 credits at the first sitting, or you do not pass everything in the Refer period, the Board of Examiners will normally make one of the following decisions:

  • you must repeat the modules that you failed
  • you may be excluded from further study and you may not continue.

If you are excluded, then you may seek an interview with the Chair of the BOE who can advise on the Board’s decisions and who also has the power to review your case. In all cases, you are encouraged to see your personal tutor or course leader.

You can also seek the advice of the Sabbatical Officers or Student Adviser in the Students’ Union here or speak to the University’s Wellbeing