Your account details
Your staff account username will use up to the first 7 letters of your surname and your first initial. Sometimes when a username is already taken it will have a number.
e.g. BloggsJ or SmithA1
You will use this username and password to sign in to the majority of University services.
When you start here, your username and password will be given to you via a phone call to the service desk.
Do not share this password with anyone.
You can change or recover your password at:
Advice on choosing a password
Passwords are the lock on the door to your data and are the first point of attack for anyone trying to steal that data. The University guidelines state a password should be made up from a mixture of :
- English uppercase characters (A–Z)
- English lowercase characters (a–z)
- Numbers (0–9)
- Non-alphanumeric characters (e.g. !, $, #)
Passwords should not be only a single dictionary or slang word nor should they be personal information such as names, pet names, maiden names, birthdays, car registration and similar personal data. Also do not reference hobbies such as football teams, actors, band names and the like.
Create and use ‘strong’ passwords - which are easy to remember and difficult to guess. Below are three strategies
Use a passphrase
A longer version of a password typically composed of multiple words:
- Pick three short unrelated words: e.g. tree, witch, rock
- Capitalise the first letter of each word: Tree, Witch, Rock
- Separate each word using a punctuation symbol: Tree?Witch?Rock
- Add a number : Tree?Witch?R0ck
Use word association
e.g. Amazon - b00ks_&_DVD5 or B00K5//on=line
Use a song or poem
Mary had a little lamb, it’s fleece was white as snow.
This becomes: MHALLIFWWAS or mhall-IFWWA5
- Never share your password with anybody. No reputable service representative will ask you for your password. This kind of attack is known as phishing, someone will pretend to be from your bank or payroll office or Service Desk and ask for the password. This will never be required by a legitimate organisation.
- All modern mobile devices will allow you to protect your data with a secure pin or password. We encourage everyone to use this feature.
- Use different passwords for different systems
- If you have been given administrator access to a system, only use this log in when you are required to perform a task which requires your access privileges to be raised.
Creating accounts for new members of staff
All University of Portsmouth staff receive a computer account that enables access to University computer facilities. This account has to be requested by a nominated person from your department, if you have not received your staff account details you will need to contact the person in your area responsible for applying for your account. A list of account requesters for your department can be found below.
Please note: This list will not change unless prompted by individual departments. Please contact the service desk with requests for access and revised listings.
Account requesters by department
Curriculum And Quality Enhancement
Department of Employability
Darren Van Laar
Human Resources Department
Hannah Lambert - (Executive Assistant)
Elaine Roberston (POD Administrator)
Amira Collins (CI Administrator)
Maria Ainsley (People Hub Manager)
Martin Dennison (People Hub Deputy Manager)
Vicky McClinktock (Recruitment Team)
Angela Harrison (Senior HRBP)
International College Portsmouth
Marketing And Communications Department
Research & Knowledge Transfer Services
Sport and Recreation
Student Finance Centre
Technology Enhanced Learning
Accounting & Financial Management
Andrew Wood (Head)
Economics & Finance
Homagni Choudhury (Head)(wef 1.10.21)
Human Resource Management & OS
Gary Rees (Head)
Phil McGowan (Head)
Operation & Systems Management
Mark Xu (Head)
School of Law
Caroline Strevens (until 31.10.21)
Paul Trott (Head)
Technical Services Unit
School of Art, Design and Performance
David Leefe Kendon
Creative and Cultural Industries
Institute of Industrial Research
School of Media and Performing Arts
HSS Faculty Office
Faculty of Science and Health
Environment, Geography and Geosciences
Pharmacy & Biomedical Sciences
Health and Care Professions
Sport & Exercise Science
- School of Computing
- School of Civil Engineering and Surveying
- School of Energy and Electronic Engineering
- School of Mechanical and Design Engineering
- Department of Maths and Physics
- Liongate Hub
Learning at Work
Computer accounts for visitors
Wireless (eduroam) accounts
A temporary account will allow visitors to connect their devices to the University internet but will NOT allow logins to University PCs. When requesting accounts for visitors, ensure you enter the full name(s) of each visitor and an expiry date. To request visitor account(s) click on the self-service form below:
For a guide on how to connect a device to eduroam, click here
Windows (PC login) accounts
These accounts allow visitors to login to University PCs (with limited access) but will NOT allow logins to wireless. To request log in accounts click on the self-service form below: