The aim of the Staff IT Induction is to provide new staff to the University with an awareness of the University's IT facilities and with guidance on how to access support for the use of IT.
To contact IT Training please email email@example.com
For more information please see:
Topics Covered in Induction
Google Workspace is a collection of cloud computing, productivity and collaboration tools including Google Mail, Calendar, Drive, Google Docs, Sheets etc.
There are several ways to sign into Google Workspace. You can sign into individual services:
Google Mail: https://mail.google.com
Google Calendar: https://calendar.google.com
Google Drive: https://drive.google.com
There are also mobile apps available.
If you are using Chrome as your web browser, you can sign into Chrome which will give you access to all the services in Google Workspace:
- Click on your Google Account Disc, top right corner
- Click Turn on Sync (or Sign in again)
- Enter your University Credentials
You can then use the app picker which is shown at the top right of the page to switch between services.
To search for an article navigate to https://myport.port.ac.uk/ click on the magnifying glass and type keyword/s into the text field.
IT Training - Contains the IT Training schedule
N Drive - Information on how to map your N Drive
Work from Anywhere - Contains information about Virtual Private Network (VPN) and other technology to allow you to work remotely.
Multi Factor - How to set up Multi Factor verification which is required to access many of the University’s systems
Accessing Software - Instructions on how to access software via AppsAnywhere and how to download Microsoft Office
Creative Cloud - Creative cloud contains applications such as Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop and In-design. Staff have to request a licence by completing the form on this article.
To open Staff Essentials navigate to https://staff.port.ac.uk/
The page contains 3 tabs:
Home: Includes news articles and quick links including the following:
- Document Warehouse - University policies are available
- EAP - The Employee Assistance Programme is a free, confidential Helpline which provides access to information, advice and support
- ESS - Employee Self Service allows you to access your payslips, record sickness and book holiday
- PDR - Personal Development Review which is completed yearly
- Service Desk - Get help and support on IT issues
- Staff Directory - Please note you need to have the VPN on to use this service
- Staff Portal - Allows academics to access their timetables
- Term Dates
- Work Anywhere - Technology to support working anywhere along with instructions about the VPN
Staff Services: contains links under the following headings:
- Staff Services
- General Services
- Staff Health and Wellbeing
- Staff networks, unions and support
- Academic Support, with a link for academics to access their timetables
- Training and Development
- Marketing and communication
LinkedIn Learning is an online video library that offers over 40,000 courses on a wide range of subjects including IT, Project Management, Business and Creative tools. All staff and students have access to LinkedIn Learning. This article explains how to access LinkedIn Learning and how to request Curator access so you can create your own playlists.
Getting Help with IT
Service Desk operate 8:00 - 5:00pm (outside of these hours support is available via a out of hours team)
Service Desk can be contacted in several different ways
- Phone 02392 847777
- Chat Support - link at the top of the service desk page. Chat Support offers two options: a Virtual Assistant Anna or you can request to speak to a service desk analyst using the link at the bottom of the box.
- Log an issue using Self Service
Service Desk: https://servicedesk.port.ac.uk/, this page is also available on the desktop via the blue IT Help icon
Self Service: https://live.hornbill.com/uopservicedesk/internal/home/
Service Status: Page: https://uopit.freshstatus.io/