Smiling student getting advice for finding part time work from a careers adviser

Earning while learning

Discover how we support you to find part-time work in Portsmouth while studying

Many students look for part-time work while studying to earn extra money or to get additional skills. We can support you in finding part-time work in a number of ways, from providing information and support with your CV to using our jobs board, MyCareer, to find jobs in the area.

Part-time jobs could be anything from bar and restaurant work to retail and customer service roles. This may involve working during the evenings, on weekends and on free days during the week.

Finding a job

Our jobs board, MyCareer, has hundreds of part-time vacancies across different sectors. You can also find details and information about graduate jobs, volunteering opportunities, employment events and more.

You can login with your University username and password. Once logged in, you'll be taken to your own dashboard. From here you can update and personalise your profile to get notified about jobs and events that interest you.

Login to MyCareer

Careers and Employability Centre

You can also visit us at the Careers and Employability Centre for further advice on finding a part-time job or using MyCareer. We'll be able to clarify job details and any regulations that exist around working part-time.

You can drop-in to the Careers and Employability Centre Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4.00pm or book an appointment via MyCareer to speak with a member of the team.

Writing a CV for part-time work

Whether you have a lot of experience in part-time work already, or are looking to get your first part-time job, we can help you. Our experienced advisers will help you shape your CV, examine your skill-set and make you an attractive prospect for a potential employer.

Take a look at this example CV for part-time work.

Not sure where to find part-time work in the local area? Check out our video guide of some of Portsmouth's hotspots, all within walking distance of the city centre campus!

Stay safe from scam jobs

Unfortunately, some students have been the victim of fraudulent job offers. We've been working with the Hampshire Constabulary, who have shared the following advice on what to be wary of and how to stay safe when job hunting.

Advice from Hampshire Constabulary

Be wary when you see a job advertised on social media, as it may be a fake job posted by potential scammers hoping to secure your financial information.

To prevent scammers from getting your personal information, follow our 3 top tips:

  1. Do your research – be sceptical when someone approaches you with a job offer and always research a potential job and its source to make sure they're genuine
  2. Use the University's online jobs board, MyCareer – the Careers and Employability Service make sure all jobs they advertise are authentic
  3. Protect your bank details – an organisation will only need your bank details once they've given you a guaranteed job offer, to make sure you get paid, so never give your bank details to someone over social media and be wary of jobs that ask for a fee or money upfront to apply

National Insurance

Your National Insurance number is unique to you and makes sure that the National Insurance contributions and tax you pay are properly recorded against your name. All UK employers require you to have a National Insurance number so if you're an international student or an EU student on a visa, you should apply for one as soon as you decide to look for part-time work.

Applying for a National Insurance number

If you are an international or EU student on a visa then you will need to apply for a National Insurance number. You can apply for a National Insurance number online. You will be required to prove your identity and may be required to attend an appointment to discuss your application. It may take up to 16 weeks for you to get your National Insurance number after you have proven your identity. For more information on this refer to the government guidance: Apply for a National Insurance number and how to prove your right to work to an employer.   

Part-time work for international students

If you're an international student on a Tier 4 student visa/Student route visa you can do paid, unpaid or voluntary work up to 20 hours a week during term-time and your vacation restrictions will depend on your course structure.

For more information on your Tier 4 visa/Student route visa working restrictions for term-time and vacations, please see the MyPort article: Working hours guidance – International/EU/EEA/Swiss students.

For more information on working in the UK, see our guide: Careers advice for International Students.

Income tax

International, European and UK Students need to pay Income Tax if working a part-time job and earning over the Income Tax personal allowance

You can get more information and advice by visiting the Tax Guide for Students website.

Get more guidance on jobs and work experience

MyCareer jobs board
Interactive screen to access MyCareers jobs board
Find out more
Contact information