We're here to listen and offer confidential support, whatever your religion or beliefs
At the Chaplaincy you'll find support, guidance and a friendly ear. Come in for a chat and a cup of tea anytime.
If you're struggling with life's ups and downs, our team of experienced Chaplains are here for a confidential one-to-one chat. You don't always need to make an appointment.
We run social events throughout the year and we can point you in the direction of other support services on campus. We're open to all students, regardless of your values and beliefs, for a confidential chat, somewhere to have lunch with friends, or just some quiet space.
We'll listen to you confidentially about whatever you want to explore. Our Chaplains have pastoral skills that can help with establishing values, meaning and purpose for living.
What is the Chaplaincy?
The Chaplaincy is a safe and inclusive social space open to all students, regardless of your values and beliefs. Free tea and coffee is available every day during the week.
Our facilities include:
- The Sanctuary – a quiet multi-faith room for reflection, stillness and personal prayer
- Islamic prayer rooms – currently located on St Pauls Rd, Portsmouth, PO5 4AQ, with ablution facilities for Muslim staff and students, and separate ablution facilities for Brothers and Sisters
- Confidential support – often no appointment is necessary. Just pop in and ask to see a Chaplain for a one-to-one chat, make an appointment or email us at email@example.com
- Information – we have a small library of books, magazines and information about other support services and local places of worship
Speak to us
Our Chaplains will listen and support you. We'll:
- listen non-judgmentally
- encourage you to develop and grow
- support you for as long as it takes
Your visit and conversations are kept confidential unless you give us permission to tell someone else.
If we think you're a risk to yourself or others, we may need to tell someone, but we'll discuss this with you first if we can.
We provide support and can tell you about other services across the University and city for issues such as:
- Faith issues and concerns
- Domestic abuse
- Refugee status
- Marriage advice
- Financial problems
- Academic concerns
- Anxiety and depression
- Substance abuse
The Chaplaincy offers you an opportunity to build relationships with people from other cultures, faiths and religions.
We also have the resources and contact details for local faith groups. If you are unsure about how to approach someone from a different cultural or faith background to yourself, then the Chaplains will be able to help.
There are guidelines for building relations with people of different faiths and beliefs, available both nationally, and within the University. We can direct you to groups and organisations that specialise in building interfaith relationships.
Events and activities
Throughout the year, the Chaplaincy team organise social events for students and staff to meet new people within a peaceful and impartial environment. Activities include:
- Festival of Light
- Film and Games afternoons (Xbox and board games)
- Crafts including mug painting and card making
- Christmas Carol Service
Everyone in the University community is welcome to visit and participate in our social events, speak to us, socialise with friends or use the space for quiet time and reflection.
Get in touch
Contacting the Chaplaincy team
Call us on +44 (0)23 9284 3030, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow us on instagram @uop.chaplaincy, or visit us at Chaplaincy Centre & Prayer Rooms, St Pauls Road, Southsea, PO5 4AQ.
We are open 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Thursday, and Fridays from 9.00am to 4.00pm.
Out of Hours Support
If you need support out of hours, you can contact Res Life through the University Security Lodge on +44 (0)23 9284 3418.