Staff awarded for 25 and 40 years at the University
Staff who have worked for the University for 25 and 40 years have been awarded for their length of service and commitment.
The Long Service Awards, which are hosted by HR, celebrated 22 staff for 25 years service and 3 members of staff who have been at the University for 40 years.
Vice-Chancellor Graham Galbraith presented staff with certificates and thanked them for their dedication to the University.
I’m delighted to have the opportunity to say thank you to staff who have given so much of their working lives to this University and for being such an important part of its history of success. Getting TEF Gold, 21st in the Guardian League Table, attracting more students each year and our groundbreaking research couldn’t have been done without their efforts.
Staff with 40 years service
Anthony Chafer- Professor of French and African Studies, School of Area Studies, History, Politics and Literature
- Tony joined the University in 1979 as a lecturer in the School of Languages and Area Studies. His work has been recognised by national and international bodies and networks such as the REF 2021 Panel for Area Studies, and the West Africa Peace and Security Network.
Dr Paul Flenley- Senior Lecturer, School of Area Studies, History, Politics and Literature
- Paul started out as a Lecturer in Russian History and Soviet History and Politics and has helped students engage with the wider world through the plethora of exchange opportunities he has fostered in Russian, central and eastern Europe.
David Yeomans- Fitter, Estates and Campus Services
- David joined the University when it was still a polytechnic and had around 35 tradespeople in the department covering numerous trades. He has witnessed the business evolve over the years and met some interesting people across the whole campus. David is extremely excited for the future of the University and hopes to be a part of it for many years to come.
Staff with 25 years service
- David Andress – Professor of Modern History, School of Area Studies, History, Politics and Literature
- Amanda Ashworth – Project Accountant, Finance
- Bradley Beaven – Professor of Social and Cultural History, School of Area Studies, History, Politics and Literature
- Jill Brown – Head of Postgraduate Taught Programmes, Faculty of Business and Law
- Nicholas Capon- Director of Business Services, Faculty of Business and Law
- Jeffrey Churcher- Caretaker, Estates and Campus Services
- Dr Arief Daynes- Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Business and Law
- Alison Elliot- Faculty Manager, Faculty of Technology
- Chris Golya- Business Analyst, Information Services
- Kim Hadley- Global Engagement Project Officer, University of Portsmouth Global
- Leslie Hakim-Dowek- Senior Lecturer, School of Art, Design and Performance
- Ann Head- Library Assistant, University Library
- Paula Heiron- Head’s Administrator, Department of Student and Academic Administration
- Sharon Jakobek- Support and Programmes Manager, Department of Student and Academic Administration
- Fiona Loughran- Director of Planning, Directorate
- Karen McBride- Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Business and Law
- David Martill- Professor of Palaeobiology, School of the Environment, Geography and Geosciences
- Lee Murgatroyd- Caretaker, Estates and Campus Services
- Julie Oakland- Principal Business Analyst, Information Services
- Dr Nicholas Pepin- Associate Head (Research), School of the Environment, Geography and Geosciences
- Rosalind Simms- Senior Lecturer, School of Art, Design and Performance
- Janet Woolnough- Careers Advisor, Careers and Employability Service