Universal Credit for students

You can apply for Universal Credit (UC) as a full-time student if at least one of the following applies to you:

  • you're a lone parent (including foster parents)

  • you're living as a couple with another student and you have at least 1 dependent child

  • you're getting Personal Independence Payment or Disability Living Allowance

  • you're making a joint claim with a non-student partner who is eligible for UC in their own right

To receive support for housing costs, you must be living in rented accommodation and have a formal tenancy agreement in your name. This includes halls of residence. Support for those with a mortgage is not covered.


Applying for Universal Credit

Applications can be made online.

Universal Credit applications are administered by the Department for Work & Pensions and have replaced the support that was previously available via Tax Credits and Housing Benefit.

If you need further guidance on Universal Credit, including estimates of award levels, please get in touch with the Student Finance Centre by calling +44 (0)23 9284 3014 or by email to studentfinance@port.ac.uk.