This article provides details regarding sponsorship.


What is a sponsor?

A sponsor is an employer, or a government body. It is not a relative unless the relative is paying through their official company. If a student is receiving direct payment of a scholarship then they are still classed as a self-paying student. Sponsored students are not eligible for any of the tuition fee discounts currently offered, with the exception of the staff discount.


Can a sponsor pay my tuition fees?

Yes, a sponsor can pay your tuition fees and/or bench fees on your behalf.


Do I need to let you know if my sponsor is paying my fees?

You need to let the University know if your employer is paying your fees for you. You should ask your employer to complete an Official Purchase Order RE2 form, letter of sponsorship, in the case of international students, an embassy's Financial Guarantee.


Where can I get a sponsorship form (The University's Official Certificate of Sponsorship) from?

External Company Sponsorship (RE2): This process is for external sponsors. Please download our RE2 Form. This must be completed in full, signed by the sponsor (not the student) and returned to the address shown below. If you are an International applicant/student on a Tier 4 Visa, an RE2 sponsorship form is not sufficient to issue a CAS. A letter from your sponsor or Financial Guarantee must be provided instead of the sponsorship form.

Internal Sponsorship (RE2I): This process is for University of Portsmouth Faculties and Schools/Departments. Please contact for further information regarding where this information should be recorded. 


Where can I get a Letter of Sponsorship template from?

A sponsor may send a letter rather than an RE2, however this must be on the sponsor's official headed paper and signed by the sponsor (not the student). You can download our template letter to use directly, or if you wish to use you own letter, you must ensure you copy and paste all the details from our template letter into your letter. Any letter sent without the details required and without the declaration can be rejected, leaving the student liable for the tuition fees. The original must be sent to the address shown below as faxes are not accepted.

For International applicants/students on a Student Visa, the Letter must include the following:

  • Student's full name
  • The course the student is to study
  • The duration the sponsorship covers (e.g 1  '2021/22' or '3 years from October 2021').
  • The amount/percentage of the tuition fee being covered across the sponsorship's duration. If the sponsorship is for a specific value, this must be listed in GBP
  • The FULL postal address of the organisation
  • A current email address of the organisation where the invoice should be sent to


Where do I send the sponsorship form?

If a digital signature has been used, please email your form to If a physical signature has been used, either scan and email your form to the above email address or send it to Student Administration Services:

University of Portsmouth

Department of Student and Academic Administration

Student Administration Services

Floor 5 Mercantile House

Hampshire Terrace



An invoice will be sent to your employer after you complete registration and a satisfactory ID check. If you have already received an invoice from the University, please do not send the invoice to your employer to pay. Please advise


Is there anything I need to tell my sponsor about completing the sponsor form?

Yes, there is some important information to give to your sponsor as follows:

1) An RE2/Letter of Sponsorship can be used for multiple academic sessions if clearly indicated on the form, providing the information input on the form will enable payment across its duration. If the information is subject to change, a separate RE2/Letter of Sponsorship will be required for each academic session. 

2) Tuition fees covered by the RE2/Letter of Sponsorship must be paid in full within 30 days of the invoice date.

3) To avoid delays in payment and the possible exclusion of the student, please ensure the RE2/Letter of Sponsorship include the following:

  • Student's full name
  • The course the student is to study
  • The amount the sponsor wishes to contribute (Please specify in GBP). Please ensure if sponsorship covers multiple academic sessions that the amount/percentage of sponsorship is clearly defined. 
  • The purchase order number *
  • The email address of your Accounts Payable Department where the invoice is to be sent
  • The FULL (including postcode if applicable) address of the company. This address will be used to post the invoice if no Accounts Payable email address is provided
  • The academic session(s)/dates the letter is to cover (eg. 2021/22 to 2023/24 / October 2021 - June 2024)
  • Contact email address of the signatory and/or sponsoring company/body

4) Incomplete RE2 and/or letters containing insufficient information will not be accepted and the student will remain liable for the full tuition fee amount.

5) Where a Sponsor / Employer is unable to pay invoices without a purchase order number, the RE2 Form or Letter of Sponsorship should not be submitted without the relevant number. The student's progress could be interrupted or facilities withdrawn if our invoice is returned unpaid and the PO number has not been quoted on the RE2 Form or Letter of Sponsorship. * If you do not have a PO/Reference number, then please enter the signatory's full name, as we will use this as a reference, so your Finance Department will be able to match up the invoice on receipt.


ELCAS funding

The University of Portsmouth accepts Enhanced Learning Credits (ELCAS) funding in a similar way to sponsorships. We can accept claims for all of our courses providing the information on your claim is accurate. Before applying through your Educational Staff, please contact us on 44(0)23 9284 7745 or where we can advise you of:

  • Your start date
  • Your tuition fee for the academic year
  • Our learner provider number

Please note: incorrect information on the form will result in non-payment by ELCAS and you will be liable for the full amount. 

Please ensure you apply in plenty of time, as ELCAS claims cannot be backdated. We would advise you to apply at least 6 weeks before the course start date.

Any proportion of the fee which is not covered by ELCAS, will need to be paid in full before or at online registration.


What happens if I withdraw from my course?

If an RE2/ Letter of Sponsorship is received by the University, this confirms your sponsor's contractual obligation to pay fees for you for the period stated even if you withdraw, or you leave your employment. It is therefore recommended that your employer forms their own agreement with you to cover your obligation to your sponsor, should you withdraw from the programme or leave your employment. Our withdrawal policy can be found at 'Where can I find tuition fee policies and procedures?'.