This article contains information about Council Tax exemption.


How do I know if I am exempt from paying Council Tax?

If you are a full-time student and you ONLY live with other full-time students, then your house should be exempt from Council Tax. The Council Tax exemption period begins on the official start date of your course and runs to the official end date.

International and EU students should be aware that Orientation Week takes place before the official course start date and therefore Council Tax may be chargeable at this time.

Please note, once you have ceased study and the official end date of the course has passed, you will be liable to pay Council Tax (e.g. for the 2019/2020 Academic Year, the end date for undergraduate students is 19 June 2020: after this date Council Tax is payable).


How do I let the Council know that I don’t have to pay Council Tax?

If you live within the PO1 – PO6 postcode area of Portsmouth, and are exempt from paying Council Tax, the University will automatically inform Portsmouth City Council that you are exempt. However if you are living in rented accommodation, your landlord may request confirmation that you are exempt, in which case you will need to obtain a Council Tax Certificate.

If you live in a different postcode area of Portsmouth, or a different council area, then you will need to obtain a Council Tax Certificate to confirm your status and send this to your local council.


How do I get a Council Tax Certificate?

To request a Council Tax Certificate, you will need to log in to your 'Student View' portal and click on 'Request Standard Letters'.

Student view

Please note: you must be fully registered in order to do this. Once requested, the letter will be sent to you by email to your student email address.