If you've suffered a traumatic experience, such as a sexual assault, you are likely to be feeling shocked along with a wide range of further emotions. It can be difficult to know what kind of support you need, or what action you want to take.

If you are the victim of an assault, you will need to make a decision about reporting it. If you choose this course of action, you should do so as soon as possible, as this gives the authorities the best chance of collecting evidence. The University's police liaison officer could be your first port of call (contact details below). There are also other specialist organisations.

If you decide not to get specialist support then it is strongly advisable to consult your GP as soon as possible. Also, let your personal tutor know if your studies are affected.

You are also strongly encouraged to seek support from one or more of the following services if you have been the victim of a sexual assault:

Police liaison officer

The University benefits from the services of a police liaison officer, PC Clare Parry, who is experienced in supporting students in relation to police matters. Their contact details are as follows:

Useful resources for trauma

Mind >

Understand what trauma is and how it affects your mental health.

Positive Minds >

This peer support course has been designed to give you the skills you need to keep low mood at bay. 

More wellbeing help

Take a look at our other resources and sources of support for help with everything - from issues with alcohol, to healing from trauma.

Access resources and support >

Wellbeing courses, workshops and events

Get involved in the free support available for you at uni, including support groups, drop-in events and the annual Feel Good Fest.

Young women painting glassware
Read more

Wellbeing resources and other support

Expert advice recommended by our Student Wellbeing Service

B Roll shoot
Read more

Student Wellbeing Service

Learn more about the help we offer for personal and emotional worries.

Students getting health and wellbeing support
Read more

Contact the Student Wellbeing Service

Access mental health support and guidance from our friendly team of wellbeing advisers, counsellors and advisers:

Register for help >

Or you can contact us via:

You can also find us on Instagram and Facebook.

Worried about a student? Whether you're a friend, member of University staff, family member or medical professional you can raise a concern so our service can help.