Life outside study
Settling into life in Portsmouth includes knowing where to pick up groceries and other essential items.
Portsmouth has large supermarkets for your big shop and smaller stores close to campus. If you're looking for international ingredients, explore the international stores across the city and discover where to get household essentials for your new home.
The largest supermarkets close to campus are:
- Tesco – Crasswell St, Portsmouth, PO1 1HT
- Asda – The Bridge Shopping Centre, Somers Road North, Portsmouth, PO1 1SL
- Lidl – Goldsmith Avenue, Portsmouth, PO4 0BS
For more independent groceries, butchers and markets, see our guide to shopping in Portsmouth.
Online grocery shopping and delivery
If you prefer to get your groceries delivered, supermarkets such as Tesco, Asda and Ocado offer delivery in Portsmouth.
These local companies also offer deliveries or click and collect:
- Wild Thyme Wholefoods – an independent shop selling natural and organic vegan food and products
- Package Free Larder – Portsmouth's first plastic-free supermarket offers click and collect
- Farmer's Choice – locally sourced free-range meat, poultry and dairy, organic fruit and veg, and responsibly sourced fish and seafood
There are a number of smaller stores closer to the centre of campus. These are a great place to pick up lunch or a few things you forget from your grocery shop. They're convenient but prices tend to be higher than in larger supermarkets.
- Co-op Food – next to the Union Building
- Sainsbury's Local – 5-7 Guildhall Walk, Portsmouth PO1 2RY
- Tesco Express – 5 Isambard Brunel Road, Portsmouth PO1 2FT
International grocery stores
Portsmouth has many international grocery stores, including:
- Mediterranean Supermarket – 111-113 Elm Grove, Southsea
- Okey Chinese Supermarket – 106 Elm Grove, Southsea, Portsmouth, Southsea, PO5 1LR
- M A Food Cash & Carry – 154 Kingston Rd, Fratton, Portsmouth, PO2 7PD
- Portsmouth International Food Centre – 47-49 Fratton Rd, Portsmouth, PO1 5AB
- Eastern Stores Grocery – 212-216 Kingston Rd, North End, Portsmouth, PO2 7LR
- Thai & Asian Food Mart – 40 Fratton Rd, Fratton, Portsmouth, PO1 5BX
- Afro-Cart Foods – 150 Kingston Rd, Fratton, Portsmouth, PO2 7PD
- Mama Lit Special Foods – 92 Fawcett Rd, Southsea, Portsmouth, Southsea, PO4 0DN
- Albert Food Store – 131 Albert Rd, Southsea, Portsmouth, Southsea, PO5 2SQ
Some of the larger supermarkets sell household essentials (like kitchen utensils and bedding) for a reasonable price. Other places to look for household essentials are:
- Wilko: 29 Arundel Street, Portsmouth, PO1 1NB
- Argos: 207-211 Commercial Road, Portsmouth, PO1 4BJ
For local furniture stores and second hand shops, see our guide to shopping in Portsmouth.
The closest pharmacies to campus include:
- Laly's Pharmacy – 1 Guildhall Walk, Portsmouth, PO1 2RY
- Merali Pharmacy – 24 Queen St, Portsea, Portsmouth, PO1 3HN
- Lloyd's Pharmacy – 145-147 Somers Rd, Southsea, Portsmouth, Southsea, PO5 4PT
- Boot's Pharmacy – 194-204 Commercial Rd, Portsmouth, PO1 1HB
- Rowland's Pharmacy – 24 Elm Grove, Southsea, Portsmouth, Southsea, PO5 1JG
Find out more
We're home to great independent businesses, so shopping in the city is a treat.
Hungry for adventure? Here's a taster of the great food and drink you can savour in the city.