Can Do Relaunch - Rule of 6 outdoors and outdoor sports from Monday
We’re re-launching our Can Do initiative with the Students’ Union - highlighting the things you can do as the Government’s Covid restrictions loosen and society slowly opens up once more.
There are 3 things changing from Monday (29 March):
- Rule of 6 outdoors - outdoor gatherings (including in private gardens) of either 6 people or 2 households will also be allowed, making it easier for friends and families to meet outside.
- Outdoor sports - Facilities such as tennis and basketball courts, and open-air swimming pools, will also be allowed to reopen, and people will be able to take part in formally organised outdoor sports.
- End of ‘stay at home rule’ - this will officially end but many Government restrictions will remain in place and you should minimise the number of journeys you take where possible.
Ideas for things you can do
- Fish and chips with a friend - Watch the sunset on the beach with fish and chips from Southsea Beach Cafe, or grab a coffee and cinnamon bun from Southsea Coffee
- Skate, scoot and ride - Southsea Skatepark reopens on 29 March to bookings with limited numbers for safety reasons
- Anyone for tennis? - Southsea Tennis Club also reopens on 29 March where you can join as a member if you’re not already one
- Seafront run or bike ride - go for a bike ride or a run along the promenade. It can be busy at times, so make sure you give others plenty of space.
- 3-a-side football/frisbee - fling a frisbee or use jumpers for goalposts on Southsea Common (just keep it to a maximum of 6 people overall or 2 households)
- Kite flying with your mates - it can get a bit windy along the seafront, but it’s great for a bit of kite flying
- Barbecue by the sea - it’s one the great things about living and studying in Portsmouth when the sun is shining. Please BBQ responsibly and use the dedicated BBQ zones to help keep the seafront safe for everyone.
Rules to follow
We’re all getting excited about restrictions slowly listing, but we’ve still got to play our part in keeping Covid case numbers down and keeping our community safe. Please follow the rules and be considerate to your neighbours:
- Government restrictions on indoor gatherings, social distancing, mask wearing and travel abroad remain the same
- Be considerate and make room for others when it's busy in outdoor public areas
- Help make our seafront and green spaces a rubbish free zone by following these simple rules:
- If there's a bin, use it.
- When a bin is full, take your rubbish home with you.
- Recycle what you can.