There are many situations where it's appropriate to feel anger, and anger can sometimes be constructive.

If you're angry because of a specific incident or situation, you may benefit from third-party mediation or advocacy support which you can seek from the Students’ Union Advice Service.

Problems can arise when anger is inappropriately expressed or when this emotion becomes a dominant or persistent mindset. For some students, persistent anger could be a symptom of unhealthy stress, low mood or depression.

If you're having ongoing difficulties with anger then it's a good idea to seek help. It's always advisable to consult your GP if you are feeling persistently low, especially if your daily functioning is affected. You should also let your personal tutor or course leader know if you are having difficulties and these are affecting your studies – they are there to help, and can offer useful advice and support.

Useful resources for anger

Mind >

National charity Mind helps people navigating mental health issues, and they offer useful information and advice on recognising when anger is a problem.

Get Self Help > 

Get Self Help offers tips and strategies for managing feelings of anger, including using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT).

More wellbeing help

Take a look at our other resources and sources of support for help with everything - from issues with alcohol, to healing from trauma.

Access resources and support >

Wellbeing courses, workshops and events

Get involved in the free support available for you at uni, including support groups, drop-in events and the annual Feel Good Fest.

Young women painting glassware
Read more

Wellbeing resources and other support

Expert advice recommended by our Student Wellbeing Service

B Roll shoot
Read more

Student Wellbeing Service

Learn more about the help we offer for personal and emotional worries.

Students getting health and wellbeing support
Read more

Contact the Student Wellbeing Service

Access mental health support and guidance from our friendly team of wellbeing advisers, counsellors and advisers:

Register for help >

Or you can contact us via:

You can also find us on Instagram and Facebook.

Worried about a student? Whether you're a friend, member of University staff, family member or medical professional you can raise a concern so our service can help.