Female in suit watches speaker during career presentation

My Student Data

Find out what personal data we hold about you, how we protect your data and maintain your privacy

We need to keep a record of some of your personal details, including your name, address, and citizenship or visa status, in order to manage the administration of your course and your welfare.

The use of your data is governed by the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation, to make sure your personal information is protected. For more details of how we process your data, please see the Data Protection Statement for Students.

Update your details

Why we need your data

Your personal details are held in order to manage your course of study and communicate with you about everything from exam scheduling to your graduation day itinerary.

Protecting your data

The University respects the privacy of students and follows the requirements of the data protection legislation to protect the privacy of users' data.

We'll only:

  • collect personal information necessary for a stated purpose
  • use your information for the purpose we collected it for

We'll ask your permission to use your information for another purpose and we'll only share your personal information with another organisation if you've given your consent or we have a legal obligation to do so.

Find out more about data protection.

Subject access requests

You have a right to ask to see whatever personal information we hold about you. This is called a subject access request. Find out more about making a subject access request.

How to update your personal details

Name, gender and other details

If you've changed your name or other personal details, or you need to correct an error, please visit your Student View.

You should submit one of the following documents with your name:

  • your driving licence
  • your passport
  • your birth certificate, marriage certificate or change of name certificate

If you've changed your gender, submit one of the following documents stating your preferred gender:

  • a statement from your GP or other medical professional
  • your passport
  • your birth certificate, marriage certificate or change of name certificate

Please note, we can only accept original documents or certified copies. If you've lost your original certificates, you can obtain an official copy from your local Register Office in the UK.

Contact details

If you've changed your email, home address, phone number and emergency contact details, you need to let us know as soon as possible.

Disability or ongoing medical condition

It's important that you let us know if you have a disability or ongoing medical condition that may affect your studies. You can record this information in the 'My Details' menu of My Port.

Contact the Additional Support and Disability Advice Centre (ASDAC) if you need help managing your studies.

Graduates and past students

If you're a graduate or past student, you can notify us of changes to your address and other contact details via our Alumni team. To register with the Alumni Association or to update your contact details, use the online form.