Drinking culture can sometimes seem to feature as part of student life, but drinking too much can affect your judgement and lead you to unsafe situations, as well as having long-term implications on your health.

It can affect your mental health, like depression and anxiety, and can also lead to dependence and addiction.

If you're concerned that alcohol is becoming a problem for you, or you'd like support in cutting down, then there are lots of options for getting support.

It's always advisable to consult your GP if you are feeling persistently low, especially if your daily functioning is affected. You should also let your personal tutor or course leader know if you are having difficulties and these are affecting your studies they are there to help, and can offer useful advice and support.

You could also make use of the resources listed on this page, available via the university, or other local agencies.

Useful resources for alcohol


General health guidance about how to reduce the amount you drink.

Al-Anon >

Family group support for anyone whose life has been affected by someone else's drinking, where members can share their own experience of living with alcoholism. A local Portsmouth group meets weekly.

More wellbeing help

Take a look at our other resources and sources of support for help with everything - from issues with alcohol, to healing from trauma.

Access resources and support >

Wellbeing courses, workshops and events

Get involved in the free support available for you at uni, including support groups, drop-in events and the annual Feel Good Fest.

Young women painting glassware
Read more

Wellbeing resources and other support

Expert advice from the NHS, charities and more.

B Roll shoot
Read more

Student Wellbeing Service

Learn more about the help we offer for personal and emotional worries.

Students getting health and wellbeing support
Read more

Contact the Student Wellbeing Service

Access mental health support and guidance from our friendly team of wellbeing advisers, counsellors and advisers:

Register for help >

Or you can contact us via:

You can also find us on Instagram and Facebook.

Worried about a student? Whether you're a friend, member of University staff, family member or medical professional you can raise a concern so our service can help.