Calling CCI Students — Win £1000 in our CCI Graduate Show 2022 Design Competition
Are you a Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries (CCI) student? Here's your chance to show off your design skills in our CCI Graduate Show 2022 design competition – and win £1000.
You'll design an innovative, eye-catching identity for CCI Graduate Show 2022. Our online Graduate Show attracts 10,000 visits each year, and received more than 2,000 visitors to its Eldon Building exhibitions in previous years.
The CCI Graduate Show is one of the Faculty’s most important celebrations, and it will let your creative practice shine.
We're seeking a high-quality concept and design that communicates our graduates' creativity and ambitions through different digital and print media. Your design will feature on various platforms: the University website, Eventbrite, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Your design will be seen everywhere at show time.
All CCI undergraduate students can enter the competition.
The competition is a 2-stage process:
Stage 1 – Submission of concept
Include an A1 poster, a mock-up of a digital proposal for web and social and include a sketch for an animation. Submit your design concept by midnight on Monday 14 February 2022 by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, giving your full name, CCI course title and year of study. A shortlist of 3 will be selected by Faculty staff and a senior lecturer in Graphic Design, who will offer a mentoring session to each of the shortlisted candidates in preparation for Stage 2.
Each entrant must submit:
- A digital proposal for your design that clearly communicates the show identity for use on websites, Eventbrite and social media platforms.
- A high-resolution PDF mock-up of an A1 poster.
- You should include a sketch for your design for a 7-second animation, for the initial proposal.
Stage 2 – Shortlisted candidates pitch to a panel:
The 3 shortlisted candidates will present their final designs to the Strategic Graduate Show Planning Group in the first week of March (date TBC). The winner must produce the final digital images for the University of Portsmouth website, Facebook, Twitter and Eventbrite plus an A1 poster by Monday 18 April 2022. The winner will be mentored by a Graphic Design lecturer on the design elements through to completion.
The winner at Stage 2 will receive £1000 on completion of the project.
A pair or group of student designers can submit entries and if selected as the winner, the prize will be shared.
The winning student’s name will appear in a profile on the CCI Graduate Show 2022 website and be seen by regional, national and international audiences.
The judging panel will be made up of the Dean of the Faculty, Faculty Manager, Promotions Manager, and members of the:
- Graduate Show Strategic Planning Group (Heads of Schools)
- Web and Digital Team
- Graphic Design Team
We'll be looking for originality and excellence. Your design must communicate the CCI Graduate Show 2022 in a simple and dynamic way to a global and digital audience that includes:
- potential employers and students
- student families
- education institutions
- existing partners in the creative industries
Your creative ideas must show a clear theme and include all elements described in our help notes. Your design should be a quality visual communication that distils the essence of what it is to graduate.
- Your design must include the University of Portsmouth logo, which can be downloaded from this drive containing logos in colour, black or white versions. You must only use the black and white logos if your design has a predominant background colour that needs contrasting, e.g. a dark red background.
- For the A1 poster design, please include the words in the Components for A1 poster design section at the end of this post.
- You may choose a free font from the CCI Font Library available from Eldon Digital Studios, Eldon South 1st floor. If you select a font from elsewhere, please note, only licensed fonts can be used for this competition, such as commercially-licensed free fonts available from Google Fonts and Fontsquirrel. Any entries containing unlicensed fonts will not be accepted.
- The final digital images will be used on the University of Portsmouth Graduate Show website. To get an idea of what these look like, see last year’s site and our social media channels – Twitter, Instagram, Facebook.
- The final A1 poster design will be printed on high-quality matte paper.
- For competition guidance, contact email@example.com.
Other useful information
To view previous year’s winning designs (on posters, invites, t-shirts, building signage, maps) contact Denise Callender, CCI Promotions Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org). To learn more about previous Graduate Shows, please visit the Graduate Show 2021 website.
Components for A1 poster design
Please include the following text on your poster design:
- Graduate Show 2022
- Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries
- Disciplines: Animation, Architecture, Computer Animation & Visual Effects, Creative Writing, Digital Media, Fashion & Textile Design, Film, Games Technology, Graphic Design, Illustration, Interior Architecture, Journalism, Music, Photography, Television & Broadcasting,
- Celebration: Date, 2022, Time
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 2DJ
- University of Portsmouth logo