Calling all CCI students - win £1000 in our CCI Graduate Show 2021 Design Competition
Are you a Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries (CCI) student? Here's your golden chance to show off your design skills in our CCI Graduate Show 2021 design competition – and win £1000*.
You'll design an innovative, eye-catching identity for CCI Graduate Show 2021. Our first-ever online Graduate Show this year attracted just under 10,000 visits, and received more than 2,000 visitors to its Eldon Building exhibitions in previous years.
The CCI Graduate Show is one of the Faculty’s most important large-scale celebrations, and it will let your creative practice shine.
We're seeking a high-quality concept and design that communicates our graduates' creativity and ambitions through different digital and print media. Your design will feature on various platforms: the University website, Eventbrite, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
You should include a sketch for your design, as a 7-second animation, for the initial proposal. You must also produce an A1 portrait poster.
Your design will be seen everywhere at show time.
All CCI undergraduate students can enter the competition.
The competition is a 2-stage process:
Stage 1 – Submission of concept
Include a mock-up of a digital proposal and A1 poster. Submit your design concept by midnight on Monday 1 February 2021 by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, giving your full name, CCI course title and year of study. A shortlist of 3 will be selected by Faculty staff and Sandra Zellmer, Senior Lecturer in Graphic Design. Sandra will offer a mentoring session to each of the shortlisted candidates in preparation for Stage 2.
Each entrant must submit:
- A digital proposal for your design that clearly communicates the show identity for use on websites, Eventbrite and social media platforms.
- A high-resolution PDF mock-up of an A1 poster.
Stage 2 – Shortlisted candidates pitch to a panel
The 3 shortlisted candidates will present their final designs to the Strategic Graduate Show Planning Group in the first week of March (date TBC). The winner must produce the final digital images for the University of Portsmouth website, Facebook, Twitter and Eventbrite plus an A1 poster for sign off by CCI and the University’s Brand and Sponsorship team by Thursday 1 April 2021. The winner will be mentored by Sandra Zellmer on the design elements through to completion.
The winner at Stage 2 will receive £1000 on completion of the project.
* Where a pair or group of designers are selected as the winner, the prize will be shared.
The winning student’s name will appear in a profile on the CCI Graduate Show 2021 website and be seen by regional, national and international audiences.
The judging panel will be made up of the Dean of the Faculty, Faculty Manager, Promotions Manager, and members of the:
- Graduate Show Strategic Planning Group (Heads of Schools)
- Web and Digital Team
- Graphic Design Team
We'll be looking for originality and excellence. Your design must communicate the CCI Graduate Show 2021 in a simple and dynamic way to a global and digital audience that includes:
- potential employers and students
- student families
- education institutions
- existing partners in the creative industries
Your creative ideas must show a clear theme and include all elements described in our help notes. Your design should be a quality visual communication that distils the essence of what it is to graduate.
- Your design must include the University of Portsmouth logo, which can be downloaded from this drive containing logos in colour, black or white versions. You must only use the black and white logos if your design has a predominant background colour that needs contrasting, e.g. a dark red background.
- For the A1 poster design, please include the words in the Text for A1 poster design section at the end.
- You may choose a free font from the CCI Font Library available from Eldon Digital Studios, Eldon South 1st floor. If you select a font from elsewhere, please note, only licensed fonts can be used for this competition, such as commercially-licensed free fonts available from Google Fonts and Fontsquirrel. Any entries containing unlicensed fonts will not be accepted.
- The final digital images will be used on the University of Portsmouth Graduate Show website. To get an idea of what these look like, see last year’s site and our social media channels – Twitter, Instagram, Facebook.
- The final A1 poster design will be printed on high-quality matte paper.
- For competition guidance, contact email@example.com.
Other useful information
To view previous year’s winning designs (on posters, invites, t-shirts, building signage, maps) contact Denise Callender, CCI Promotions Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org). To learn more about previous Graduate Shows, please visit the Graduate Show 2020 website or read the highlights from 2019.
Please include the following text on your poster design:
- Graduate Show 2021
- Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries
- University of Portsmouth
- Disciplines: Architecture, Fashion & Textiles, Photography, Television & Broadcasting, Graphic Design, Illustration, Animation, Games, Creative Writing, Journalism and Film Production
- Preview Evening: Date, 2021, Time
- Graduate Show Week: Dates
- CCI TV Live Broadcast: ccichannel.port.ac.uk
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 2DJ
- Free entry to the public