students at freshers fair

What to expect in your first week

Find out what lies ahead during your first week as a new student with us

During your first weeks in Portsmouth, you’ll get to take part in an exciting programme of Orientation events, both in person and virtual. You’ll also get all the support you need to register with the University and pay your tuition fees.

Arrival programme and International Orientation 

Orientation Week starts on Monday 12 September 2022. When you arrive, you can join campus tours, social events, student information fairs and speak to Global staff who can help you settle into University life. You’ll receive your orientation and registration programme by email before your first week.

Your orientation will be mainly in person, with a few online events.  If you are unable to join us for any sessions or you need a reminder, you will be able to use the On Demand section.

Your orientation includes

  • Course registration and ID checks
  • Welcome presentations, workshops and social events
  • Collecting your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP card) if you applied for a Student Route visa
  • Live Q&As with current international students
  • Workshops and inspirational talks to get you motivated for the year ahead

For help finding your way around the university, see our maps and directions page.

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

You need a biometric residence permit (BRP) when you apply to stay in the UK for more than six months. You can use your BRP to confirm your identity, your right to study in the UK, access healthcare and to open a bank account or rent accommodation. 

Collecting your BRP

If you applied for your Student Visa outside of the UK, you must collect your BRP:

  • From the Post Office named in your decision letter: Take your passport and Entry Clearance Office decision letter with you to the Post Office. The Post Office is open Monday to Saturday 9.00am–5.30pm (Tuesdays 9.30am–5.30pm).
  • You will be able to collect your BRP card from the MyPort Hub in the Nuffield Centre when you attend your in-person ID Check appointment, if you selected the University (ACL)
  • If you receive an email from UKVI confirming your BRP card has been delivered to the University and is ready for collection please disregard this as your BRP card will only be available for collection from the date stated in your Registration email
  • There can sometimes be delays in the production of BRP cards, if you are collecting your BRP card from the University we will email you when it arrives if it is not available at your ID Check appointment. If you are collecting from the Post Office and there is a delay they will let you know what your next steps should be
  • EEA and EU nationals who have used the ‘UK Immigration: ID check app’ will receive their visa in the form of an online digital status. You will be required to provide your proof of status during the University's registration process and throughout your time studying in the UK. Please keep your online digital status

For more information please see the government's guide to biometric residence permits.

If you fail to produce the requested documentation, you are at risk of exclusion.

Registering for your course

To register for your course, you’ll need to provide evidence of your qualifications and a form of ID, including one of the following documents:

  • Valid passport
  • Proof of EU Settlement Scheme (EU/EEA students only, if applicable)

You will need to complete an in person ID check. Please refer to your registration email for the details.

As evidence of your qualifications, you must provide copies of qualification certificates as detailed in your offer letter or CAS statement. Details of how to do this will be sent to you closer to the time.

Please note, if you can’t provide proof of your identity by one of these means, you can’t be registered. We reserve the right to exclude any student who is unable to satisfactorily provide proof of qualifications obtained.

If you're transgender and can’t provide documentation that reflects your gender identity, get in touch with and we’ll resolve this for you in a confidential and respectful way.

Transferring from another university

If you’re transferring from another university and don’t yet have a visa for the University of Portsmouth, you’ll need to show evidence of your visa application – such as the Home Office receipt – before you’re allowed to register onto your course.

Paying your tuition and accommodation fees

You can pay your fees by logging into your Student View and accessing payment links via the My Finance tab.

You can pay using American Express, Mastercard, Visa, Visa Debit, Paypal or via Western Union bank transfer. See more advice on how to pay your fees.

Joining your course and your attendance

You should try to avoid joining your course late as this will negatively affect your studies and may not be possible. Your term start date and the last date for registration is in your offer letter.

If you hold a Student Route visa, you will need to attend all of your scheduled sessions in person as a condition of your visa.

If you can’t arrive before the last date of registration, you will need to email the Registration Team at as soon as possible to let them know when you expect to arrive and see if this is possible.

If you're travelling to the UK and will be staying in university accommodation, you'll also need to contact the Student Housing team at to let them know when you'll be arriving. 

To provide you with the best opportunity in succeeding on your course, the University of Portsmouth recommends that your term time address is no greater than a 30 minute journey away by public transport from the University. This will enable you to attend your lectures and seminars and will provide you with the opportunity to regularly access the University's support services. 

Staying safe in the UK

Education UK has produced some helpful advice about living and studying in the UK including a booklet about Staying Safe in the UK.

If you have any questions about joining the University please contact the International Student Advice team.