AppsAnywhere is the University Apps portal that allows you to stream apps and download software for study and work – available anywhere, on and off-campus, anytime.
Validating your session
Each time you visit AppAnywhere, your session needs to be validated. Validating means the portal will know what type of device you're using, whether you are on or off-site and what operating system (OS) you are using.
Once validation is complete, the list of applications you're eligible to download will be listed. Once you've successfully validated, you can view your validation information by scrolling to the bottom of the Portal.
Validation can fail if you do not have the AppsAnywhere Client installed on your computer – this can be downloaded from the portal by searching for .AppsAnywhere Client.
Available software on AppsAnywhere
AppsAnywhere has a vast catalogue of software but depending on your location or device, you may find some software unavailable. In general, all software you're entitled to will be available when you're on campus using a University-owned PC or laptop.
Some applications have [Campus or VPN*] in the title, which means they're only available on-site or off-site using the VPN. Other factors that determine what applications you have access to are:
- Your course or department – some software is only available to certain courses or departments.
- Machine type – whether the device you are using is university owned or not. Any University-owned devices are joined to the University domain, any personally owned devices are not. Personally owned devices will always be Off-domain
- Location – off or on-site. You can use the VPN to appear on-site if necessary.
- Operating system – some software isn't compatible with all operating systems.
If an application isn't available to you, it will be in the Unavailable category. You can find why an application is unavailable if you click on the More info button next to the application (it will appear greyed out but will still work) then choose the Delivery Methods tab then the Restrictions tab. Any sections with a red cross against has failed the eligibility check, if there is one or more failures, the application will not be available for that specified reason/s.
All application availability is determined by each individual vendor's licensing agreements with the University. If you feel you should have access to an application, perhaps if a classmate has some software you do not, please contact the IS Service Desk.
1. Select the AppsAnywhere icon on the desktop to visit the AppsAnywhere portal.
2. AppsAnywhere will start the validation process, After validation a tick icon will appear in the lower right corner of the page.
3. search for the application you want, or select "Show all and click Launch. The AppsAnywhere agent will request the software and the Cloudpaging Player will launch and show you the install (paging) progress. Larger applications will take longer to install but many launch within 10 seconds.
4. Once the application has finished installing it will either launch automatically or may tell you to launch the software from the start menu.
When visiting AppsAnywhere for the first time, you'll need to install the Cloudpaging player – ensure you're not connected to the VPN.
1. Visit appsanywhere.port.ac.uk and log in with your university username and password
2. On your first visit you'll be presented with a welcome screen, feel free to take or skip the tour.
3. On the next screen, choose It's my first time using AppsAnywhere on this device. Let's go.
4. The application will download, run the installer and complete the installation accepting all default settings.
5. Once you have installed the application, click Done.
6. Return to your browser and click I have completed installation.
6. You may be prompted by your browser to run AppAnywhere launcher, to ensure it remembers the settings, tick the Always open these types of links in associated app checkbox then click Open AppsAnywhere Launcher
7. On all future visits you can wait for validation to complete and your list of software will appear.