Cisco Webex is a softphone application that allows you to make telephone calls over the internet using your computer or mobile device rather than needing to use your handset on campus. You can use Webex to make phone calls, send instant messages, join meetings, and manage your contacts. Webex can be used on muliple device types.
There are a couple of things to be aware of when using Webex:
- Webex is available for use across multiple devices but you should only use one device type at a time. Ensure you have logged out of other devices.
- Mobile data charges may be incurred if you use Webex on your mobile device and are not connected to the wifi.
- You should set your voicemail up up so any calls you cannot recieve do not go unanswered.
To view guides on how to use the features of Webex, please refer to the manufacturers website support documentation below:
You will need to request access to Webex. You can request Webex for yourself and other users. For each user you will need to provide the following information:
- Device type (Windows, macOS, Android iOS - each user can have more than one device type configured).
- Confirm all users appear in the Online staff directory
We recommend that you should use a headset to improve sound quality, support confidentiality and increase comfort when using Webex. Personal headsets (which have both earphones and a microphone) can be used.
This video below will provide walkthroughs on installation and the most common settings to be aware of.
You can also install on staff windows devices via Software Centre. A video on this method is shown below:
- Go to https://webex.com/downloads and click the option for Windows 64 bit.
- Open the downloaded installer and follow the prompts. Agree to terms and conditions when presented.
- Enter your staff email address and click next. You will be redirected to a University login page where you can use your username and password to sign in.
- In the lower border of the windows there will be a notification that you are not signed into phone services. Clicking the Open settings link next to it will bring up a further login box. Enter your username and password and click Sign in.
- A menu can be access from the top right of the window by clicking on your profile icon.
• Choosing Settings > Audio allows you to specify which speakers/microphone you want to use.
• Choosing Settings > Calendar allows you to toggle to integrate with your Google Calendar instead of the default Webex option.
• Choosing Settings > Privacy allows you to set yourself as busy when a calendar event is scheduled.