Keep the student community connected as a Welcome Ambassador
Our Welcome Ambassadors are student role models that are working to develop their own learning and leadership skills while also playing their part in creating a friendly, welcoming learning community here at Portsmouth.
Staying connected has never been more important than it is right now. This is why we are building our own community of Welcome Ambassadors, ready to focus on what we can do to help build Connected Communities for ALL students during these difficult challenges.
Taking the Welcome Ambassador pledge provides the perfect opportunity for you to connect with our online community whilst also playing a part in inspiring other students and helping them to build online connections themselves during these isolating times.
Find out more at our virtual launch event
To find out more please join us for our launch event hosted on Zoom on Wednesday 1 April between 3.00pm - 4.30pm.
There will be a chance to discover more about the leadership pathway, becoming a Speak UP Step UP Champion, and all the benefits and opportunities available to you when you take the Welcome Ambassador pledge.
Why be a Welcome Ambassador?
There are no set duties as a Welcome Ambassador, but plenty of opportunities to get involved and build your leadership portfolio:
- Volunteer at events
- Create inspiring social media content
- HEAR accreditation (acknowledgement of student achievement which can be used in job applications)
- CV Building
- Leadership skills
- Become a Speak UP Step UP Champion
- Opportunities for paid roles in the University
The Welcome Ambassador scheme has attracted national press attention and was praised by the Government as a beacon of good practice in supporting students’ transition to university. The programme also won a Vice-Chancellor’s Award in 2019.
How to become a Welcome Ambassador
Becoming a welcome Ambassador is easy. You simply need to:
- Take the Leadership Course Module 1. Simply read through the information and complete the assignment at the end of the module.
- Take the pledge to become a Welcome Ambassador, to uphold the values of the University’s Student Charter and share your story in order to inspire other students.
- Collect your badge and join our Welcome Ambassador community, with groups on Facebook and WhatsApp as well as monthly meet-ups.
- From there, you can build your own leadership portfolio, with opportunities to create inspiring social media content, to show up at events and to develop your own initiatives to promote inclusivity and connections on campus!