Faculty of Science and Health announces new International Mentor Scheme
The Faculty of Science and Health is excited to announce an International Mentor Scheme which has been created to make our new overseas students feel welcome and able to receive support from their peers in their first few months at university and indeed beyond.
What is the role?
International Student Mentors are volunteers who facilitate both on-line and on-campus (where possible) welcome events and “meet-ups”, signpost students to relevant support services and members of staff within their school and work with social media designed to connect and welcome. The scheme is open to all.
We know that our overseas students may not be able to travel to Portsmouth in October and could transition on-campus as and when travel restrictions are lifted. They will need to learn from you where and how to get support from your school and faculty and we hope your role will foster a sense of community and belonging to your school and the faculty as well as the University of Portsmouth.
What are the benefits?
- You'll join the Welcome Ambassador Scheme and complete online training in Leadership and Team-building skills. This can be done in 2-3 days from home.
- A certificate for completion
- Build on your leadership portfolio
- A HEAR entry listing skills and experience you have acquired from building a portfolio from the International Student Mentor Scheme and welcoming our new overseas students in the Faculty of Science and Health.
Become a mentor
Make a difference to our new overseas students in your school as a voluntary student mentor both virtually and on campus from October 2020.
To become a mentor you'll:
- Complete Speak Up Step Up Leadership online training to become a Welcome Ambassador.
- Take the pledge to make a difference to your school’s overseas student community.
- Connect with the Faculty of Science and Health to learn more about how to support overseas students in your school.
- Receive training support from both Well being and Faculty staff.
You're also eligible for this scheme if you're an existing Welcome Ambassador studying in the Faculty of Science and Health.