At the time of posting, the British Government is advising against all but essential foreign travel. Please follow this advice when applying for any roles and check the Foreign Office website for all up to date travel advice.
Many students and graduates of the University of Portsmouth are interested in working outside the UK.
You may be an international student planning to return home to find work. Or a UK student keen to get some experience working overseas during the vacation or after you graduate. The following resources will help you.
As a University of Portsmouth student or graduate you can access the following platforms to search for jobs globally. Please be aware that the links below will take you to third party sites and you will be leaving the University of Portsmouth website. Any personal data that you enter into the third party site will be handled and processed by someone other than the University of Portsmouth and you are advised to read that party's privacy notices.
Exclusive to Portsmouth students and graduates, GoinGlobal has over 16 million graduate jobs and internships across the globe. Also contains multilingual job search and extensive country profiles including advice on visas, wages, work-life and labour market information.
EFMD Talent Portal
Exclusive to Portsmouth students and graduates, EFMD Talent Portal provides global internships and graduate jobs.
GradLink UK is a specialist careers website designed for UK-educated students and graduates. Includes jobs board, recruitment portal, job market advice and blog pieces.
Chinese jobs board
Bespoke jobsite for our Chinese students created as part of our membership with GUCCU (Global University Career China Union). Includes bespoke jobs portal, advice on working in China and live webinars.
Target Jobs has an excellent starting guide to working abroad. It includes advice on deciding where to go, how to plan and where to research the practicalities such as visa and health advice.
You can listen to an informative podcast on the benefits and practicalities of global working from the perspective of an experienced international recruiter from Hays here.
It's important to do your research when planning to do international volunteering. Our guide can help you understand what opportunities to look for.
Online resources for finding jobs globally
- Prospects – Working abroad section provides comprehensive profiles on 30 countries around the world including the current job climate, application advice, vacation jobs, work experience information, visa and language requirements and more.
- TARGETjobs – Working abroad section provides a variety of country profiles with information on the job market, applications, vacancy sources, getting work experience, visa information and logistical advice.
- BBC Country profiles – Full profiles provide an instant and updated guide to history, politics and economic background of all countries and territories around the world.
- Graduateland – Jobs, internships and placements for students and graduates worldwide.
- Stepstone – International jobs in over 130 countries around the globe.
- NES Global Talent – Global agency offering jobs and internships in oil and gas, power, construction and infrastructure, life sciences, manufacturing, chemicals, mining and IT.
- Portsmouth LinkUP – Free service for Portsmouth alumni. Connect with alumni from around the world and utilise mentoring opportunities and a chance to make potential industry contacts in your home or chosen country.
- British Chamber of Commerce – Comprehensive information on all global British Chambers of Commerce.
- iHipo – Global graduate careers site with graduate jobs, internships, programmes and career advice.
Online resources based by continent
- Eurojobs - Jobs board with work opportunities across Europe at different levels.
- EURES - The European Job Mobility Portal run by the European Commission with jobs board and country-by-country advice.
- Internshipmapper - Opportunities across Europe for EU students including work experience, volunteering, graduate jobs, summer work and internships.
- GradLink Africa - Specialist careers site designed for African students and graduates across the UK (although it can be used by any students interested in working in Africa). It includes jobs, links with major graduate employers, in-depth advice sections, and the latest news and events relating to the graduate labour markets across Africa.
- Careers in Africa - Site looking to recruit African graduates and professionals who have studied abroad across all sectors.
- Jobsinnigeria - Leading Nigerian job site with graduate roles and work experience opportunities, also offers advice on CVs, cover letters and career information.
- ngcareers - Nigerian jobsite with graduate roles, internships, career advice and CV service.
- MyJobMag - Jobsite offering graduate opportunities in South Africa, Nigeria and Kenya.
- GradlinkCanada - Careers site aimed at connecting Canadian students studying in the UK with opportunities in Canada. Includes job and internship vacancy boards for Canadian based opportunities, case studies of Canadian graduates and Canadian employer profiles.
- InternChina - Offers internships across 5 locations in China for students of any nationality studying around the world.
- YingJieSheng - Leading graduate jobsite in China advertises graduate roles, internships and part-time work and also provides career advice and labour market information.
- GradLink China - Site helps Chinese students and graduates who have studied in the UK research and access graduate opportunities in their home country. Includes jobs board, employer profiles and graduate case studies.
- GRADUAN – Leading Malaysian graduate recruitment agency. Aims to link returnees with Malaysian employers.
- UK Alumni Job Network - Job site for international students who are seeking to return and work in Asia. Free to register.
- GradLink ASEAN - Website aimed at connecting ASEAN students studying across the UK with opportunities in their home countries. The website includes job and internship vacancy boards for ASEAN-based opportunities, case studies of graduates and employer profiles.
- GradLink India - Careers resource aimed at helping Indian students and graduates to research and access graduate opportunities in their home country. Includes jobs board, employer profiles and graduate case studies.
- Naukri - One of India's leading job sites with jobs both at home and also abroad.
- efinancialcareers - Singaporean jobs site for positions in the financial sector.
- InternSG - Offers internships in Singapore for both home nationals and those from other countries. Provides advice on working visas and other practical guidance.
How we support you
The Careers and Employability Service runs regular global working events. Log into MyCareer to search for future events and come along if you're an international student returning home or a UK students planning to work abroad.
- workshops on how to search and secure work globally
- employers and agencies that recruit in certain global markets
- information sessions on visa advice
Find part-time work locally to support your studies and find out what you should know about National Insurance and Income Tax.
Find and apply for volunteering opportunities to enhance your employability and get experience to add to your studies.
Increase your employment opportunities and strengthen your skills by doing a placement or short-term work experience.