Female staff member providing support to students

Registering on Your Course

How to register, transfer, suspend or withdraw from your course

Here you can register for your course. You'll also find how to make a late registration or transfer, suspend or withdraw from your course.

Registration is the annual process to become a University of Portsmouth student. Registering for your course gives you access to our services and facilities.

Register and more:

How to register onto your course online:

  • Use your student ID from your offer letter to set up your University computer account. You'll now have a username and password.
  • Complete the online registration form using your username and password.
  • Check your university Gmail account for confirmation of registration.
  • Use your username and password to login to My Port (our student information hub) and input your contact details.

  • If you're a new student, email your ID (a scanned copy of your passport or photo driving licence) and qualification certificates (scanned copies of your A level certificates, degree certificate or academic transcript) to confirmation@port.ac.uk
  • If you're unsure which qualifications you need, email confirmation@port.ac.uk

Learning at work students

Distance learning students

If you're beginning a distance learning course, email us the following documentation to register:

  • Passport or driving licence with photograph
  • Proof of a valid term time address
  • Evidence of course entry qualifications

Please send your qualifications to confirmation@port.ac.uk

In person ID check and address check

If you're a new student, come to an in-person ID and address check at the Spinnaker Sports Hall during your arrivals weekend.

You'll need to bring:

  • Passport or photo driving licence
  • Proof of a valid term time address

This is when you'll get your student card. You need this to access University buildings such as the Library.

Arriving late for your course is only allowed if you have extenuating circumstances. You'll need to get approval for 'late arrival/registration' from the Department of Student and Academic Administration.

What to do

  • Go to the late arrival and registration portal. You can login as a student or as an applicant
  • Once you've logged in, fill in all the required fields giving details of when you expect to arrive
  • We'll consider your request and then you'll receive an email advising whether or not you've been successful

Your accommodation

If you've registered for University accommodation, email student.housing@port.ac.uk to inform them of your late arrival. They will tell you what will happen about your accommodation.

If you want to change to another course within the University of Portsmouth, this is a transfer. You can request to do this, but a transfer is not a student right and we must agree to your transfer request.

How do I transfer?

If you want to transfer courses:

  • You should start by talking to both the current department and the department you wish to transfer to
  • You must check both departments believe the transfer is the right move academically and all parties must agree to a timescale

If both departments support your move:

  • You'll need to ask your current department administration office for a Transfer form which should be completed and sent to the office
  • An academic member of staff within your new department must sign off your Transfer form and your new department will update your student record

Transferring courses and fees

If you transfer between courses there are financial implications:

  • Your tuition fees due will be subject to a withdrawal fee (check the Tuition Fee Policy 2019-20)
  • You'll need to inform the Student Loans Company by completing a Change of Circumstances Form. The University will also inform them.

What are the rules for transferring?

Please refer to the Withdrawal, transfer, suspension, resumption policy document for full rules about transferring internally or to another university.

Exclusions and withdrawal

If you've been excluded or have withdrawn from a course, you can't transfer to another one and you must re-apply as a new applicant. If the department wants to give you credit for modules you've already completed, the AP(E)L otherwise known as an Application for Accreditation of Prior Learning process will deal with this.

If you take an agreed temporary break in your studies, this is suspension of your studies. It's sometimes referred to as 'interrupting'.

When you suspend your studies, you must agree a date of return with your Head of Department. This date will usually be the start of an academic year or a teaching block.

Suspension is not a student's right and the University must agree to this.

How do I suspend my studies?

If you want to suspend your studies, you'll need to:

  • Ask your department administration office for a Suspension Form
  • Complete the form, including the reason for your suspension and your return date
  • Return the form to the department office

If your suspension is agreed, a member of academic staff from your department must sign your form.

Please note:

  • your date of suspension can't be more than 2 weeks before the date you notify the University
  • if you're a new student, you can't suspend your studies in the first 2 weeks of the course start date a break in studies at this point is treated as your withdrawal from the University

Suspension and tuition fees

  • You stop paying tuition fees on your suspension, depending on the date of suspension and liability periods (see our Tuition Fee Policy 2019-20 ). You'll have to pay a resumption fee on your return to studies.
  • You won't get a refund if you suspend we'll carry forward your fees to the next academic year
  • You must inform the Student Loans Company by completing a Change of Circumstances Form. The University will also notify them.

How long can I suspend?

The longest suspension period you can request is 2 years. After then, if you can't resume your studies, you have to withdraw from the University.

Please note: While you're suspended, you won't have access to any University facilities (e.g. the library, computer account, Moodle account).

You have a right to end your registration on a course. But if you want to return to the University following withdrawal, you have to re-apply as a new applicant, and there's no guarantee you will be re-admitted.

How do I withdraw?

Please contact your department as soon as possible to discuss your withdrawal and whether this is the best option for you. If you still want to continue:

  • you need to complete the online form
  • once you've completed and submitted the form, you'll receive an email receipt

Although withdrawal is your right, there could be an issue with the dates you've entered. Please continue to check your email regularly until you receive confirmation of your withdrawal. If your withdrawal isn't approved, please contact your department to ask why.

Your withdrawal and fees

You'll receive a tuition fee invoice 2 weeks after the course start date (this will include the Induction week). A reduced tuition fee is payable, based on your withdrawal date and liability periods.

Your withdrawal starts from the ‘date of last attendance’ and this will be the date you submit on your withdrawal form. The Tuition Fee Policy 2019/20 explains the liability period.

You'll need to notify the Student Loans Company and complete a Change of Circumstances Form. The University will also inform them.

If you're withdrawing from the University of Portsmouth but going to another university, when you complete the online withdrawal form, select the reason 'Moving to other Institutions'. We can then notify Student Finance.

Regulations for withdrawing

Please refer to the Withdrawal, transfer, suspension, resumption procedures policy document for in-depth rules.

Further information

Withdrawal is often the first option students consider if they face financial difficulties, doubts about their course and homesickness, but there are support services on campus to help you if you're struggling:

  • Academic Support Unit offers 1-to-1 help on building up your core academic skills and boosting your confidence
  • Student Wellbeing Service offers confidential help with a wide range of personal and emotional concerns
  • Student Finance Centre offers 1-to-1 help on budgeting, money management and access to hardship funds
  • Student's Union website offers links to advice on healthy eating, mental health, sexual health, relationships, alcohol and drugs, bullying and harassment

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close