Adding a Printer in Windows 10
On your desktop locate the Install a Printer icon, double click to start the process.
The Devices and Printers window will be displayed. Select Add a printer which can be found towards the top of the window.
The "Add a Device" dialogue box will appear, listing available printers. Scroll through to locate the printer you require. If the printer is not shown, please see Searching for a Printer instructions below.
Double click on the printer you want to use and select Finish.
- The printer will now be displayed in the "Devices and Printer" dialogue box.
Searching for a printer in Windows 10
You may need to search for a printer if it is not listed in the "Add a Device" dialogue box.
- Select the blue link The printer that I want isn’t listed in the "Add a device" dialogue box and select Next.
- The "Add Printer" dialogue box will open, select the second option "Find a printer in the directory, based on location or feature", then select "Next".
- The "Find Printers" dialogue box will appear:
In the Name field type in a search term, the majority of printers can be found by searching for the building the printer is located in
The search term needs to start and end with an asterisk
Select Find Now to locate the printer.
- The search results will be displayed:
Scroll to find the desired printer
Double click the printer name
The "Add Printer" dialogue box will appear, select Next
Ensure the "Set as Default" box is ticked then select Finish
Please see the table at the end of this article for suggested search terms based on locations
- The printer will be displayed in the "Devices and Printers" dialogue box:
Check that it has a green tick next to it, this indicates it is the default printer
To make a printer default, right click the printer and select Set as Default
Search Terms to locate a printer