This article will inform you of the support available to students who are estranged from their parents.

The University has signed the Standalone Pledge, and is committed to helping students who are estranged from their parents.

To be eligible you must be:

  • Under 25
  • a full-time undergraduate student
  • assessed as estranged by your funding body (for example Student Finance England or the NHS)

If you are still in the process of proving your estrangement to your funding body please contact the Student Finance Centre, as we may be able to help with this process.


How we can support you

Guaranteed year-round accommodation

We guarantee estranged students accommodation in halls of residence all year round, so you don't have to worry about finding somewhere to live over the Christmas, Easter and summer holidays.


Stand Alone Bursary - £1,000 a year

You could get a Stand Alone Bursary of £1,000 to help you cover your study costs. It isn't based on your income and you don't need to pay this back. Recipients can also receive the University Bursary of £750 a year.


Designated finance and wellbeing advisors

You'll have a dedicated member of staff in the Student Finance Centre who'll advise and guide you on your support needs. They can also help you apply for finance and funding.

You'll also get a designated wellbeing advisor who can provide wellbeing support and help you access other wellbeing services quickly if you need them.


Getting estranged student support

To find out how to get support and to apply for the Stand Alone bursary please contact the Student Finance Centre.