This article will inform you about the process of requesting a tuition fee refund.


Why would I need a tuition fee refund?

Please see our 'Tuition Fee Policy' for the academic year you are studying in, at Where can I find tuition fee policies and procedures? to check if you are likely to be due a refund.

If you think you are due a refund because of a change in status such as a transfer, suspension* or withdrawal, you will need to complete the relevant change of status form before requesting a refund. For more information about transfers, suspensions or withdrawals, please see Change of Status (Transferring, Suspending, Withdrawing) what I need to know.

  • If you think you are due a refund because a sponsor/employer is now paying your fees instead of you, you will need to ask your sponsor to complete a sponsorship form. For further instructions, please see Sponsor paying my tuition fees what I need to know.
  • If you think you are due a refund because Student Finance England/Wales/Scotland/Ireland (as applicable) are paying your fees by a Tuition Fee Grant or Tuition Fee Loan, you will need to send a copy of your financial notification to the relevant department before requesting a refund.

Please email your financial notification to

  • If you think you are due a refund of your tuition fees as you have overpaid (this includes any discounts you may have overpaid), please contact
  • If you are an International (i.e. non-EEA) student, and you think you are due a refund of your deposit, please email
  • If you think you are due a refund for something other than tuition fees, please see Non-tuition fee refund who to contact.

* Please Note: Refunds are not usually given for suspension of studies. Instead the fees are carried forward to the next academic year. However if you feel there may be extenuating circumstances, please contact our Student Administration Services at regarding this.


Requesting a refund

Once the relevant Change of Status, Sponsor or Student Finance form/letter has been sent to us, Student Administration Services will automatically generate a refund. Should you have any queries about your refund, or if you would like a refund during a suspension of studies, please email


How and when will my refund be paid back?

Refunds will be made to the person that originally made the payment and, where possible, by the same payment method. For example, if the payment was made on-line using a debit or credit card, the refund will be made back to the card account.

Please allow up to 2 weeks from requesting a refund to receiving it if all information required by Finance has been sent in. Should further information be required by Finance, it could take up to 4 weeks. Please note that refunds may be withheld if you are in debt to the University.

If you require any further information regarding tuition fee refunds, please email us at