This article explains the role of mental health advisors in the Student Wellbeing Service.
The Student Wellbeing Service offers confidential help with a wide range of personal and emotional concerns and is available to every student at the University, free of charge. All kinds of students find their way to us from all over the University and for all sorts of reasons.
The service has three strands: wellbeing advice, counselling, and mental health advice. They are all linked together so when you apply you only have to approach us once – we will sort out which one is most likely to meet your needs.
Mental Health Advice
The University is committed to providing a positive learning environment for students with mental health needs. The Mental Health Practitioners in the Student Wellbeing Service provide advice, information and support to help lessen the impact of mental health difficulties so that students can get the best from University life.
The Mental Health Practitioners are experienced professionals who can:
- talk to you about the practical impact that mental health/wellbeing difficulties may be having on you
- assess and talk through your psychological support needs and help you address these directly or through referral to other specialists
- discuss self-help, therapy and treatment options, including medication
- offer short-term one-to-one support to help you gain an understanding of your mental health and develop helpful coping strategies
- provide indirect support, such as liaising with other internal and external support agencies and coordinate services offered to ensure they are effective.
Making an appointment
Please read this article on how to access support from the Student Wellbeing Service and complete the online registration form. The information is entered on a secure, separate server and is confidential to the Student Wellbeing Service.
University of Portsmouth Student Wellbeing Service Contact Details:
Phone: +44 (0)23 9284 3466
Location: Nuffield Centre, Second Floor, St Michael's Road, Portsmouth, PO1 2ED
Facebook: UoP Student Wellbeing Service