This article provides information on the differences that exist between school/college support services and the University support arrangements.


Funding arrangements for disabled students

Eligible students are encouraged to apply for the Disabled Students' Allowance before they register at University. This will fund much of the additional academic support that is required at University based on your individual learning needs. More information is available on the following link: Extra funding available to disabled students


In-class support

The level of provision maybe different from what you have experienced previously. Rather than additional 1:1 support in class, you may learn strategies that enable you to work independently.

This difference is consistent with the Higher Education emphasis on independent learning.


Independent study

You will need to be pro-active and engage with the additional academic support that is available to you. You will be expected to make more decisions for yourself and utilise your time achieve the academic requirements.

The Study Skills Tutors can give you strategies that enable you to adapt to the independent learning culture at University. The expectation is that all submitted work will be entirely your own. Instead of proofreading services, you will be provided with the relevant techniques that enable you to proof-read your own work.


Extension or movement of coursework deadlines

The University's Extenuating Circumstances (EC) framework does not consider requests for an extension on the grounds of disability alone. However, if you do experience an unforeseen worsening of your condition and this affects your ability to complete work or sit an assessment, the University can consider your request under EC rules.



While reasonable adjustments can be made to the teaching and assessment process, this does not apply to the expected learning outcomes. As a result, all students are marked using the same criteria that demonstrates their competence in the subject.


Evidence requirements

These may be different from requirements at school and college. See this article on Diagnostic Evidence.

We advise you contact ASDAC as soon as possible if you require further guidance on this process. You can find our contact details on the following link: ASDAC contact details