This article will provide you with the information you need to lodge a complaint if you find yourself dissatisfied with any aspect of your academic studies or of the services and facilities provided by the University of Portsmouth.

In the first instance this should be raised informally by speaking or writing to an appropriate member of University staff. If you consider this does not satisfactorily resolve the issue you may lodge a formal complaint by submitting a Complaints Form to the University Complaints Officer. The complaint should be submitted no later than 20 working days from when the matter occurred.

You may contact the Complaints Officer by emailing or contact the Students’ Union for advice on submitting a complaint.