This article explains how you can claim on insurance.


Check you are insured

Before you can claim insurance, first of all you need to make sure you are insured. You might be covered by your parents’ home insurance, but it depends which company they are with and what package they might have. Whilst staying in halls, you are covered by the university’s basic insurance provider,, for selected items that are kept in your university halls room.

If you have any extra items, you may need to take out extra insurance to cover them. Once you move out of halls and into a rented house, you will need to take out your own insurance. If you are a student in private sector accommodation please clink on the Not In Halls tab.


Making a claim

In the event that you do need to claim on your insurance, you will need to report the theft to the police. You can call 101 for non-emergencies, and 999 for emergencies. If you need further advice you can contact PC Clare Parry, contact details available here.

When you have received a crime number from the police, you will be able to contact your insurance provider to make a claim. When reporting the crime to the police, try to think of the following:

  • description of person involved
  • gender: male/female
  • age and height
  • hair: colour/length/style
  • build: tall/thin/stocky
  • clothing
  • other distinguishing marks such as tattoos and scars.