This article explains about the University Chaplaincy and the support the Chaplains provide.
The Chaplaincy provides a space to relax and meet people. You can pop in at anytime to have tea and coffee and a chat.
We provide a quiet space for socialising, relaxing, reflection, thought, stillness and prayer. This service is open to all staff and students of all faiths and none.
The University Chaplains have been trained to listen and be alongside people at all times of life in a non-judgemental way. The team work confidentially and will:
- Listen to you non-judgementally
- Not disclose to anyone outside the Chaplaincy that you have been to see a Chaplain unless you give permission for us to do so (the only exception would be if the Chaplain thought you were at risk to yourself or others but if possible, they would discuss it with you first)
- Encourage development and nurture growth
- Be alongside you for as long as it takes
Other support and services the Chaplaincy provides:
- Sanctuary room – a quiet space for reflection, thought, stillness and prayer. Open to staff and students of all faiths and none.
- Listening – Confidential support – no appointment necessary. Just pop in and ask to see a Chaplain for a one-to-one chat, although you are welcome to contact us to book an appointment if you prefer not to wait
- Space to relax and meet friends – pop in anytime for a cup of tea and a chat, a quiet lunch or just some space. Free tea and coffee served all day (please bring your own lunch.)
- Islamic prayer rooms – with dedicated ablution facilities for Muslim staff and students
- Information - about other support services and local places of worship and also a small library of books and magazines.
There is also The Prayer Room in Mercantile Building, which is open weekdays (Mon-Fri) from 08:30am to 19:00 .This facility also includes separate prayer rooms for men and women, with dedicated ablution facilities, storage for shoes and swipe card access.
Out-of-hours on-call service
The Chaplaincy Suite is open weekdays 9:00am–5:00pm (4:00pm on Fridays), but there is always someone available to speak to.
In an emergency and for out-of-hours security, please ring the Security Lodge on +44 (0)23 9284 3418 (just 84 3418 from halls landlines).