University arrangements for Monday 19 September
We are very much looking forward to you joining or returning to the University over the coming days.
Following the passing of Her Majesty The Queen, the state funeral has been confirmed as taking place on Monday 19 September, which will be a UK Bank Holiday.
Monday was also planned to be the start of induction for many of you. I am sure you will appreciate that these plans will need to be amended in light of Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral.
Induction activities and teaching for Monday 19 September to be rescheduled
In light of the state funeral and confirmation that Monday will also be a Bank Holiday we will need to reschedule induction and teaching activities currently planned for Monday 19 September.
These changes will be communicated to you as soon as they are available as induction activities will not now take place on Monday (19 September). However the student Welcome Weekend activities planned for Saturday (17 September) and Sunday (18 September) will continue as expected.
Some Student Services will be closed on Monday 19 September
In addition, some of our University services will be closed on Monday:
- University Cafes will be closed, except for the cafes in the Library and Ravelin Sports Centre which will open 9.00am-6.00pm.
- MyPort Hubs - while the MyPort Hubs are closed, support to students will be available at a dedicated hub in the Library (please see the section below).
- There will be no teaching and teaching buildings will be closed.
- Biometric residence permits (BRP) card and Student card collection will not be available.
Support and services available Monday 19 September
Ensuring you have the right support is our priority. We will therefore have the following services available to you:
- The Library will be open 8.00am to midnight.
- Ravelin Sports Centre will open from 7.00am to 9.00pm.
- A Student Support Hub will be in place in the Library, 9.00am to 5.00pm, to provide guidance and information for students.
- Halls of residence - halls will be operating as normal over arrival weekends (17 & 18 September) and will be open on Monday 19 September with some local adaptations. Catering services in Rees and Burrell Halls will operate as normal on the Monday. Students can contact the Reslife Service for welfare support as normal from 11.30 to 8.00pm on 023 92 84 4500 and out of hours on 023 92 84 3418
- University Bus - the University Bus service will be in operation.
- The funeral will be shown where large screens are available in public areas e.g. the Library and Ravelin Sports Centre
- The Students’ Union Building will be open and the Common Room will be available for use. International Student Ambassadors will be available there from 10am to 3pm to meet and greet students.
It will take us a day or two to work through the details and update your induction timetables. We will email you again when these are ready.
If you have any questions in the meantime please do not hesitate to get in touch.
We look forward to seeing you over the coming days.
Book of Condolences and Remembrance Service
A multi-faith service of remembrance will be held in Guildhall Square at 12.00pm on Sunday 18 September to give people in Portsmouth the opportunity to come together to remember Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.