Safety on campus - keeping our University community safe
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to campus for the start of the academic year on 5 October. We’ve been working hard over the summer to put in place a number of safety measures to help keep the whole University community safe.
Please remember to keep up to date with the latest government guidelines and follow these, for example wearing face masks when using public transport.
On campus we are asking everyone to wear a mask, wash their hands, use hand sanitiser, follow the signs, and stay socially distanced.
We are implementing a range of measures:
- Face coverings: Please have a face covering with you when you come on to campus. We will be asking everyone to wear a face covering when in university buildings and where 2m social distancing isn’t possible moving around campus. We will have face coverings available for students if they don’t have one with them.
In areas where specialist personal protective equipment is required, for example in some labs, this will be provided along with guidance as to their correct use.
- Hand sanitising stations: Regular and thorough hand washing is still one of the best ways to reduce transmission of the virus. In addition we have installed hand sanitiser stations at the entrance and key points in all buildings.
- One way systems: These will be in place across all buildings. This means that your usual route to enter, move around and exit a building might be different. Please ensure you follow the one way signs and other directional signage.
- Temperature screening: Staff and Students should check their temperature at home before coming to campus. Temperature screening stations will also be provided across campus at key buildings. Anyone with a high temperature will need to return home and self-isolate following government guidance.
- Screening testing: We aim to implement a process for staff and students to receive COVID-19 screening tests on campus. More details on this will be available soon.
- Lifts: Use of lifts is currently restricted to one person at a time with priority given to those with mobility issues.
- Cleaning: Enhanced cleaning will take place across the campus, including key contact surfaces and touchpoints like door handles. We will also be providing cleaning materials for staff and students to wipe down any desks and pcs that they use while on campus.
- Toilets: There will be ‘one in, one out’ systems for many of the toilets across campus.
- Communal and teaching space capacity: To ensure social distancing we have reduced the capacity of our teaching and communal student spaces.
- Student support services: Many student services will continue to be available online. Where these are being delivered face-to-face there will be queuing arrangements and temporary barriers in place to ensure social distancing, along with transparent Perspex screens where appropriate.
These measures have been put in place to protect our whole university community. Please remember to wear a mask, wash your hands, use hand sanitiser, follow the signs, and stay socially distanced.